Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein... carb vs. non-carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #21
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

I'm almost ready to bottle. Can you use 12oz bottles or wine bottles?

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #22
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

If you are carbonating it, don't use regular wine bottles. They and wine corks aren't made for that. You need champagne bottles and corks, if you want to go that way.

Twelve ounce bottles and other bottles meant to take carbonation pressure should be fine.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 PM   #23
Krieger betrunkener
Recipes 

I might have skipped it by accident, so sorry if im reiterating, but can you carb this and use corks in 12 oz bottles?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:58 PM   #24
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

I just tasted my Apfelwein for the first time. It's been fermenting a few days under a month. The first sip was not that good, but a few sips later it started to grow on me and taste good. It tasted like champange with an apple twist. Maybe when i sweeten it up a bit and give it some carbination it will be really good...Thanks Edwort..Hopefully my wife thanks you too..

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 11-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #25
nucmed24
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So I bottled my apfelwein yesterday (yay!). I did use wine bottles and corks (didn't read the post above that recommended champagne bottles until just now). Am I ok? Or do I have a bottle bomb waiting to happen? Also, how long does the apfelwein need to prime and age now? Do I keep the bottles at room temp for a week, then transfer to the garage like I would beer???

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #26
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucmed24
So I bottled my apfelwein yesterday (yay!). I did use wine bottles and corks (didn't read the post above that recommended champagne bottles until just now). Am I ok? Or do I have a bottle bomb waiting to happen? Also, how long does the apfelwein need to prime and age now? Do I keep the bottles at room temp for a week, then transfer to the garage like I would beer???

Thanks in advance for any help.

I haven't bottled my Apfelwein yet, but it sounds like you're going to have a problem. If you primed, you've basically created carbonating pressure behind corks that will just get forced out of their wine bottles. Perhaps someone with more experience can tell you definitively, but I think you need to bottle with beer caps (beer bottles or champagne bottles) or use champagne bottles and champagne caps. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #27
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Clearly it was in another thread...but I saw in one of the Apfelwine threads a suggestion to bottle at 1.010 for carbed or ferment out to <1.000 for still.

Is bottling Apfelwine in pressure proof bottles at 1.010 for dry and carbed a good idea or have I gotten mixed up?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #28
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

1.010 sounds high. That's about the same as adding a pound of dextrose to a five gallon batch that fermented out. I added 8.7 ounces to a five gallon batch that had fermented out with great results. I don't think I would want any more than that in there.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 11-19-2007, 07:45 PM   #29
nucmed24
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmulligan
I haven't bottled my Apfelwein yet, but it sounds like you're going to have a problem. If you primed, you've basically created carbonating pressure behind corks that will just get forced out of their wine bottles. Perhaps someone with more experience can tell you definitively, but I think you need to bottle with beer caps (beer bottles or champagne bottles) or use champagne bottles and champagne caps. Good luck!
So... if I need to bottle in grolsch bottles instead of wine bottles with corks (I don't have champagne bottles), is it going to be OK to uncork the bottles, pour them back into my bottling bucket, and re-bottle them in grolsch bottles? Or is my batch screwed. I would be concerned with oxidation from all the transfering.

Also, do I need to now add more priming sugar? They were just bottled last night, and I am able to uncork them tonight to rebottle.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucmed24
So... if I need to bottle in grolsch bottles instead of wine bottles with corks (I don't have champagne bottles), is it going to be OK to uncork the bottles, pour them back into my bottling bucket, and re-bottle them in grolsch bottles? Or is my batch screwed. I would be concerned with oxidation from all the transfering.

Also, do I need to now add more priming sugar? They were just bottled last night, and I am able to uncork them tonight to rebottle.
Well, I would be a bit concerned about oxidation too, but I don't see that you have any other choice. Maybe try very gently pouring it out as to not splash or at least splash as little as possible.

If you don't uncork them, they'll uncork by themselves. Wine bottles and corks are not meant to hold pressure and will blow. You can bottle still apfelwein in them, but not carbonated drinks.

You probably don't need to add more priming sugar, since you just primed them last night. Maybe check the sg in your bottling bucket just to make sure.

Quick Reply