Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein bubbling through airlock and out of the top, after 28 hours!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
dash14251
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Apfelwein bubbling through airlock and out of the top, after 28 hours!

ok i started apfelwein yesterday and followed EdWort's directions to a T, as far as i know.. it may be as simple as filling the carboy too full, its close to the neck. now, 28 hours since airlocking it is bubbling up and through the top of the airlock. the small bubbles are coming up and joining together to make big bubbles which are flowing up the neck of the carboy and out the airlock.

im going to siphon maybe an inch off the top to give the bubbles some room to pop before heading out of the bottle, through the 'shine, and out of the building!

if you think it might be something else let me know

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
dash14251
Recipes 

ok i fixed it. i know all of you were worried to death, but i resolved the problem so now you can sleep soundly tonight.

i tried to siphon but it is so bubbly that i had to just suck it out and spit it into a bucket. i was worried that bacteria from my mouth may get into the carboy but the tubing i used is over 3 feet long and i cant see it traveling that far for the short time it was in there without me sucking (thats weird to say, being a dude). anyway, it looks good now, we'll see how it turns out.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
ruffdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A blowoff tube would have worked as well (maybe for next time), but your method seems to have worked.

I'm actually just about to taste my first apfelwein batch, it's just cooling in the fridge, getting pretty excited about it.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Thromgar
Recipes 

I second the blowoff tube idea for the future. Anytime you get a really vigorous fermentation it is worth going to.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdeezy View Post
A blowoff tube would have worked as well (maybe for next time), but your method seems to have worked.

I'm actually just about to taste my first apfelwein batch, it's just cooling in the fridge, getting pretty excited about it.
It's apfelwein. If you need a blowoff tube for apfelwein, you filled the carboy way too full. I usually fill to the bottom of the neck, and at most it'll expand up just over halfway up the neck.

Keep the blowoff tubes for beer. Apfelwein just needs you to be a bit less greedy.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i highly suggest you save a bottle or 5. After a few years it is DEVINE. I honestly couldnt believe it was the same stuff i had made. Are you sure you used montrachet yeast for it? ive done multiple batches and it never really bubbles much. And as for the mouth syphon- almost everyone including myself has done that at some point.live and learn

Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
dash14251
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scinerd3000 View Post
i highly suggest you save a bottle or 5. After a few years it is DEVINE. I honestly couldnt believe it was the same stuff i had made. Are you sure you used montrachet yeast for it? ive done multiple batches and it never really bubbles much. And as for the mouth syphon- almost everyone including myself has done that at some point.live and learn
yes 100% its a pinkish red packet, says Red Star Montrachet Dry Wine Yeast, 5 grams.

As of right now there are zero bubbles getting anywhere close to the top of the neck but the moonshine i have in the airlock is getting more and more of the color of apple juice, like the co2 has some color in it, have any of you experienced this? i guess when ferm slows down ill refit another fresh airlock.

and definitely getting those sulpher smells if i smell the airlock close, cant imagine im going to drink this sometime!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2758 Times on 2709 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash14251 View Post
yes 100% its a pinkish red packet, says Red Star Montrachet Dry Wine Yeast, 5 grams.

As of right now there are zero bubbles getting anywhere close to the top of the neck but the moonshine i have in the airlock is getting more and more of the color of apple juice, like the co2 has some color in it, have any of you experienced this? i guess when ferm slows down ill refit another fresh airlock.

and definitely getting those sulpher smells if i smell the airlock close, cant imagine im going to drink this sometime!
Are you referring to the Apfelwein as Moonshine? Please don't. Moonshine requires distilling which is illegal and not supported on this forum. Apfelwein is fermenting and perfectly legal.

The color will change during fermentation as the yeast is brought into suspension. it will clear again after fermentation as the yeast settles.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-01-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You just wait... It may smell funky now, but it will taste awesome in a while. Regarding your airlock, did you refill the airlock after you had the bubbling over? You may want to just put somemore whiskey or StarSan solution in there to make sure it's still sanitary.

You shouldn't expect too much bubbling with this Apfelwein. It's just like wine and will only produce very small bubbles during fermentation. As they said above, it sounds like you may have just too much in the carboy. Siphoning as you did would be the only cure for something like that. Just remember to start up another batch in a few weeks.... It takes a while to taste awesome and once it does, it'll be gone and you'll wish you had started more earlier.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
dash14251
Recipes 

FYI i didnt use Tree Top or whatever apple juice. I used kroger brand Natural apple juice, its the same just without added vitamin C

Quick Reply