The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfelwein ++++?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #31
Kevin Dean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am quite glad I decided to wait until after my first batch of apfelwein before experimenting. Cinnamon sounds great with apples, and it's delightful in apple juice, but it would be out of character for apfelwein, IMO.

My first batch was Apple Juice + Brown Sugar which (I learn now) makes the wonderful tartness that I liked a lot.

So, when I kicked my keg (Sadly, I didn't follow Ed's advice and start a second batch after 2 weeks) I went to the store and got about 20 gallons of apple juice (you should have seen the cashier's eyes bug out of her head) and a few... extras.

I've currently got a 5 gallon batch of Cranberry apfelwein going, at the request of SWMBO.

My idea, however, was Peach Apfelwein, which I've now got a 6 gallon batch of bubbling away quite happily.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #32
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just wanted to add that any non-fermentable can be added after the fact as well as any sweetner that you do not wish to have ferment out. Wikipedia details these post apfelwein strategies.

I prefer to make the Ed recipe and do all of the experimentation afterwards. It provides the most flexibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #33
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
My idea, however, was Peach Apfelwein, which I've now got a 6 gallon batch of bubbling away quite happily.
Hmm, peach apfelwein. That sounds kinda tasty. What did you use for peach flavoring? Whole? Canned? Juice? I may have to try something like this in a week or two.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
I just wanted to add that any non-fermentable can be added after the fact as well as any sweetner that you do not wish to have ferment out. Wikipedia details these post apfelwein strategies.

I prefer to make the Ed recipe and do all of the experimentation afterwards. It provides the most flexibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apfelwein
This is probably the best route, but the curiousity in me won't be satiated until I ruin (hopefully not) a few batches with experimenting. Then I'll probably come to the conclusion that Ed's recipe is best.

Last edited by shunoshi; 10-08-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #34
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunoshi
That sounds kinda tasty. What did you use for peach flavoring?
Organic Peach nectar, which is essentially water and peach puree. This one had a dab of lemon juice, which worried me a bit but I figured that the acidity of lemon juice dispursed in a 6 gallon batch wouldn't be any worse than the ascorbic acid in the apple juice anyway.

I think I was right, since that's the more active fermentation between that and my cranberry. And since the nectar is a bit thicker than the juice, I actually had a yellow/orange krausen for the first 18 hours or so. By morning it was totally gone though, and bubbling away.

[Edited to fix typos, but Peace Pure is a great thing...]

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 10-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #35
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dean
Organic Peach nectar, which is essentially water and peach puree. This one had a dab of lemon juice, which worried me a bit but I figured that the acidity of lemon juice dispursed in a 6 gallon batch wouldn't be any worse than the ascorbic acid in the apple juice anyway.

I think I was right, since that's the more active fermentation between that and my cranberry. And since the nectar is a bit thicker than the juice, I actually had a yellow/orange krausen for the first 18 hours or so. By morning it was totally gone though, and bubbling away.

[Edited to fix typos, but Peace Pure is a great thing...]
Hmm, definitely let us know how it turns out. I'm curious as to how the two flavors will mingle. I should really make another "by the book" batch of apfelwein since my last batch is an experimental and I don't want to run out of the good stuff should this turn out poorly.

Maybe I'll make my next experiemental batch with peaches and weizen yeast (which is something else I wanted to try).

Quick Reply