Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Apfekwein, cant get montrachet, any Lalvin wine yeasts close?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Vorsicht709
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Apfekwein, cant get montrachet, any Lalvin wine yeasts close?

Okay I wanted to emulate EdWorts recipe as close as possible however I cannot get any montrachet wine yeast. The only brand my LHBS carries is Lalvin: Bourgovin, ICV D-47, 71B-1122, K1V-1116, and EC-1118 any idea which of these would be closest to what is called for in EdWort's recipe??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Fish
Recipes 

I have used the EC 1118 and I really liked it but I don't know how it compares with the Montrachet.

Primary : Fruit Cider
Secondary :empty

Bottled: Wheat
On Deck: Mead

Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
jiffybrew
Recipes 

Has anyone ever tried using ale yeast? What happens?

Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Tons of people have with good results. Search for nottingham in the orig thread:

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

I believe that several people have also pitched onto an ale yeastcake with good results.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
2pugbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsicht709
Okay I wanted to emulate EdWorts recipe as close as possible however I cannot get any montrachet wine yeast. The only brand my LHBS carries is Lalvin: Bourgovin, ICV D-47, 71B-1122, K1V-1116, and EC-1118 any idea which of these would be closest to what is called for in EdWort's recipe??
I was getting ready to make a batch and sampled a few of the over 2000 posts and jotted down the yeasts I saw used. Of course Moncharet was on the list plus Cote de Blanc and Lalvin D47. My LBHS only carried Lalvin so I took D47 and pitched that. Later I read more and saw Lalvin 1118 more often.
Mine is at 4 1/2 weeks but still going at 8 per minute so took a SG reading - 1.006. It had a sweet mild taste - very faint apple. At our local brew club last night a couple mead makers said D47 should finish with a sweet taste.
I wonder if mine is fermented out and could be bottled even though it's still bubbling. It's really clear - can see the yeast cake on the bottom from 5 ft away

Last edited by 2pugbrews; 02-08-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
skinfiddler

Recipes 

I used the Cotes de Blanc and EC-1118 the latter being favored.

A liquid yeast was mentioned somewhere along the way- Rudesheimer (sp?)- that I would like to try.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
beala
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybrew
Has anyone ever tried using ale yeast? What happens?
I tried using a hefe yeast (wyeast 3068). It fermented out to around 0.998, which is actually lower than my montrachet apfelwein (4th week in primary, and at ~1.002). It tastes about the same as montrachet, with maybe a hint of a yeasty flavor. One caveat is that I used table sugar instead of dextrose (didn't want to, but I didn't really have a choice), so that may explain why it didn't come out as good as some people described. One poster said they got a 'sweet jolly rancher flavor' from a hefe yeast, but my guess would be that it was bottled too soon. If your apfelwein is sweet at bottling time, I'd be seriously worried about bottle bombs.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pugbrews
I wonder if mine is fermented out and could be bottled even though it's still bubbling. It's really clear - can see the yeast cake on the bottom from 5 ft away
Keep taking sg levels every couple days for a week or so. If it stays the same for a week or more, you are probably safe. There are several other possibilities for gas release in the carboy, so sg measurements are much more accurate than airlock activity.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I used Montrachet because Ed Wort used it in his recipe and he is the Apfelwein god! I guess it finishes extremey dry though, so I added a half pound of lactose...Some people used up to a poud of Lactose, but I know from my sweet stout recipe, how sweet a pound of lactose can be.

I think the ec1118 is an acceptable alternative...it's a champagne yeast and finishes dry.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-10-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
rustang64
Recipes 

Lalvin D47 is the equivalent to Montrachet.

Quick Reply