Any suggested improvements
Here is a recipe I have followed to make a gallon of rhubarb wine so far it has been going for around two weeks all signs of fermentation seem to have finished I have racked it off just the once so far an I had a sneaky sip when I did it it still tasts very acidic which I am hoping will calm down during aging but does anybody have any suggestions on improving the recipe ?
250ml white grape juice concentrate
1 sachet general purpose white wine yeast (I used Champaign yeast)
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Wash the rhubarb, then chop finely into 6mm lengths. Place in a sterilised, food grade bucket and stir in the sugar. Cover with a lid or a clean tea towel and leave for three days. I forgot mine for a week and it started to go a bit mouldy on top – not that it seems to have done any harm.
Crush the pulp with the end of a rolling pin then stir in three litres of boiled but cooled water. Strain through sterilised muslin into another clean bucket, add the grape juice concentrate and make it up to 4.5 litres with more water. Add the yeast (activate it if necessary first) and the yeast nutrient.
Cover and leave for a week. Siphon into a clean demijohn and add a bubble trap.
After three or four weeks "rack off" into another demijohn (this disposes of the muddy stuff at the bottom which can taint the wine). Any shortfall should be made up with a sugar syrup made from boiled water, three parts, to sugar, one part, and allowed to cool.
When all fermentation has stopped siphon into clean bottles. It is ready immediately though patience may have its reward.