HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Any Experience With Salal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
WriterWriter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Any Experience With Salal?

Hey folks,

Just got back from a walk in Portland's Washington Park. We were astounded by the number of berries almost dripping from the leaves. One in particular was in abundance but I'd never seen it before. I gave it a taste (sweet and didn't kill me) so we picked a bunch. It looks like this:

salal on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I believe this to be something called salal which grows around the Pacific Northwest. Fortunately there's a Jack Keller recipe for wine, but I wanted to check in to see if anyone on HBT has tried anything with this fruit.

Or can anyone just confirm that, yes, this is salal....and not a poisonous lookalike!

WW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
mmadmikes1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There arent many poisonous berries here in northwest but some will give you serious squirts. Yes those are Salal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply