Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Another Newbie wine maker with Fermentation problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 02:25 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Thompson
Great thank you. I've been to a friends house to borrow four, one gallon Demijohns (Carboy's I guess here in the US). I don't haved any bungs or air traps until I can get some tomorrow. In the mean time I've sealed the lid on my five gallon bucket and put a small diameter hose (Fish tank air line!) through a hole in the top sealed with silicone. I've got the other end in a jar of water. I hope the hose isn't too small in diameter. I doubt I'll be able to strain and rack the wine until Saturday morning.

Thanks again for the help.

Is there a wine making for dummies type book avaiable?

Thanks

Adrian Thompson
Good thinking- you made a blow off tube. I don't know of a book, but I always recommend this website: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

It is a bit tough to nagivate, but it really is the best resource I've ever seen, from yeasts to all the information you'll ever need for winemaking.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 AM   #12
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, the Chick is correct.....Jack Keller's advice is very, very good. Follow his recipes, and you really can't go wrong.

After you took the reading of 1.007, did you taste the must? It may have gone from sweet to otherwise very quickly, and if fermentation is not complete, you may want to add a little more sugar. (Yooper, correct me if I'm wrong.)

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 10-19-2007, 02:56 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Karr
Yes, the Chick is correct.....Jack Keller's advice is very, very good. Follow his recipes, and you really can't go wrong.

After you took the reading of 1.007, did you taste the must? It may have gone from sweet to otherwise very quickly, and if fermentation is not complete, you may want to add a little more sugar. (Yooper, correct me if I'm wrong.)
Jim, I'd never correct you! But at this point, I'd let it go. If the og was 1.092, it'll probably finish at .990 or so, and that's plenty of alcohol to keep the wine preserved. Any more sugar will boost the ABV, but require alot more time to mellow out. If it needs sweetening later on, we can help you with that!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply