Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Alternative to Chitosan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
mmadmikes1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could use gelatin. It isnt made from any sea food , it made from cow bones. Anyone but me noticed a pattern, bones clear wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
JonCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

If he is Kosher, and I remember right, crushed bones are not Kosher.

My issue is with Blackberry wine. First batch turned out clear (and tasting great), no fining agent, no nothing. Was only 4 gallons, I let it go until it was .999. It was only 4L.

The second batch is 5 gallons, and I only did two things different. This time I had gotten my hands on some bentonite (first time using it) that I added prior to pitching my yeast. The other thing different is when I topped off my carboy I used sorbate and sugar water (gf wanted a sweet wine). It is differently done fermenting, it has been 2 weeks since topping off and no change in the SG.

Now is cloudy as heck and just isn't settling out. It has been weeks in the secondary and hasn't cleared much at all. I have more bentonite and some Super-Kleer K.C., and a large freezer just at freezing temp.

What should I do? More bentonite, the Super Kleer or what? Can I cold stabilize it for a few hours at freezing temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply