Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
betterale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aging

My first wine I aged in the bottles, Is there benefit or more pluses to mass aging with oak chips? I don't brew often enough to get a small oak barrel to use

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
rhartwel41
Recipes 

My understanding of bulk aging Vers bottle aging is that you end up with a similar product over all because it aged the same way. Bottle aging separates the wine so it ages just a little different then the bottle next to it.it could be it came in contact with light or it was higher on a shelve which caused the temp to be a little different. I tend to bulk age for about 2 months and then bottle are the rest of the time. I don't have room to have multi bulk aging things going on at any one time. Meads on the other hand I bulk age for almost a year because its easier to keep from sampling it then.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I typcally keep my wines in 'bulk aging' for several months and oak it for several weeks of that time (depending on the wine) using chips. I then bottle for at least 4 months before opening. Just got out a Sangiovese that I made in the spring, and its just about ready for christmas!

Old 11-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
betterale
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, I think I might try oaking and bulk aging this time

Quick Reply