Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Ageing Kit Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Trokair
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Ageing Kit Wine

So I have a few questions before I dive head-long into my Vintner's Reserve Reisling kit.

1.Primary Fermentation: I've read some posts on here that say to folow the directions.The kit instructions say 10 days. That sounds really short. I'm looking for the optimal first experience. Should I leave it in there long for primary?

2. Can I bulk age a kit wine for +6 months? I've read passing comments that kit wines are designed to be done in 1 month. So can I leave it in secondary for a few months then bottle age for a few months?

3. Degassing. I really don't want to do this at all. It goes against my instincts of not letting oxygen get to the wine. That said I don't have a drill paddle/mixer/etc. to use degassing. Can I just rack to a bucket fermenter and stir? Or should I just leave it alone and go get a mix/stir?

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Follow the directions! - check gravity before concluding it is done @ 10 days.

I'd bottle it, forget the bulk. Follow the directions!

Yes, degas. You can make your own whip out of a piece of stiff plastic tubing, attach it to a drill bit and use your drill.

I know the urge is to one up the directions, but until you are experienced you should just go with it.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
02fx4dude
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I recently made that same kit as my first wine. I followed the directions except instead of bottling I transferred 5 gallons to a corny keg for aging and the remaining gallon to bottles to sample over next few months. I started it in late october, tried a bottle at the holidays. It was pretty good I thought.

I degassed it by grabbing the neck of the carboy and moving it in circles to mix it up really good. It foamed a lot so might want to be careful.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Dicky
Recipes 

A whisk you're not attached to (a sterilised one of course) and a drill will do the job of degasing.

As for ageing, i've heard both the pros and cons of bulk ageing, and in my opinion it seems fairly trivial.
That said, I would bottle it, if not only to free up your carboy!

Dicky

Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Trokair
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the input. I will follow the directions and age in the bottle, that way I can get started on my next batch.

Good beer is a thing worth striving for. Mistakes will be made, but rest assured that the end result is well worth the effort.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trokair View Post
Thanks for the input. I will follow the directions and age in the bottle, that way I can get started on my next batch.
That's the best idea yet!!!!

Quick Reply