The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Adding Fruit to primary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
scottyg354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Adding Fruit to primary fermentation

Ok guys, I am making a blackberry wine with some blackberry juice I got from my LHBS. I am thinking of adding some fruit to the primary. Is this feasable? I had to get ride of the fruit that came in the can (Vinters Harvest), for a (dumb) reason I don't feel like discuss lol. Anyways, If I got to the store and buy 3 lbs of blackberries, chop them coarsely and toss them in would that work? Anything I should do prior to adding them to the primary? Should I wait until secondary now?

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
Ok guys, I am making a blackberry wine with some blackberry juice I got from my LHBS. I am thinking of adding some fruit to the primary. Is this feasable? I had to get ride of the fruit that came in the can (Vinters Harvest), for a (dumb) reason I don't feel like discuss lol. Anyways, If I got to the store and buy 3 lbs of blackberries, chop them coarsely and toss them in would that work? Anything I should do prior to adding them to the primary? Should I wait until secondary now?
Because its a blackberry wine anyway, it sounds like they should go into the primary to me. Chop'em up and of course mesh bag them. That way you aren't going to get a stuck siphon! :-)

Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4201 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Sure, use some blackberries in the blackberry wine. I've only used fruit, and not juice, but you could easily use 2 pounds of fruit per gallon for more flavor than just juice. The fruit will also provide some tannins, as well as some more malic acid. I would suggest using Lalvin's 71B-1122 (Narbonne) yeast strain, as it metabolizes more malic acid than other strains. It also gives a "fruity" bouquet- nice in blackberry wine.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
scottyg354
Recipes 

Any campden?

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Any campden?
Yes, IF you have not begun the the brew. If you have then it will stress the yeast. One tablet per gallon and let it sit for 24 hrs or so before pitching.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Any campden?
Yes, for fruit. No for pasteurized juice, of if the juice already has sulfites.

Freeze the fruit, if fresh, and then thaw it in a big mesh bag in primary. Pour some boiling water over it (maybe a cup or two) into which you've dissolved 1 campden tablet per intended gallon of wine, stir, and then add the rest of the ingredients except for yeast. Stir well, let sit, covered with a towel, for 24 hours and then add your yeast.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
scottyg354
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, for fruit. No for pasteurized juice, of if the juice already has sulfites.

Freeze the fruit, if fresh, and then thaw it in a big mesh bag in primary. Pour some boiling water over it (maybe a cup or two) into which you've dissolved 1 campden tablet per intended gallon of wine, stir, and then add the rest of the ingredients except for yeast. Stir well, let sit, covered with a towel, for 24 hours and then add your yeast.
Ok, well I already have the juice fermenting for about 3 days. Sorry if I am being a pain in the ass. Would the process above be the same regardless? Just put the fruit (in mesh bag) in the already fermenting juice?

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:

Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ok, well I already have the juice fermenting for about 3 days. Sorry if I am being a pain in the ass. Would the process above be the same regardless? Just put the fruit (in mesh bag) in the already fermenting juice?
Use the campden tablets first! Put the berries in a mesh bag in a bowl, and pour a solution of campden and water over it. Put the lid on the bowl, and let that sit for 24 hours. Then you can add the fruit to the wine.

Quick Reply