New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Added way too much K-meta (no, I mean WAY too much)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
LaCroixes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Added way too much K-meta (no, I mean WAY too much)

Since I'm new to winemaking (more of a homebrewer), I thought I'd start small with a Vintners Reserve 4-week kit.

I ended up not degassing enough before bottling, and 3 months later, my Cab-Zin blend is all sorts of bubbly. After reading many previous posts on possible remedies, I decided to take 3 gallons of my batch, pour gently back into a carboy, dose with K-meta, and splash rack over the next week or so.

The only problem? I misread the K-meta dosing amounts, and ended up adding 1 tsp/gallon. Not the stupidest thing I've done, but close.

What I want to know is, is this salvageable by further bulk aging, aggressive and frequent splash racking and/or dilution with another non-dosed wine kit? Or should I just chalk it up to experience and dump?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

In theory, it should dissipate in time.
Regards, GF.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3853 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 643

I'd try using a wine whip (like for degassing) and whip it often, and lots, for a week or two, and then taste a sample and see if you've managed to get much of it to dissipate.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
LaCroixes
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. While waiting for advice from the forum, I poured the wine from bucket to bucket about 8 times and got a face full sulphur for my trouble.

I don't have a wine whip, but I will stir it semi-vigorously with a long-handled spoon after racking into a bucket.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you have a drill you can fashion a whip out of a plastic coat hanger.

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlord
If you have a drill you can fashion a whip out of a plastic coat hanger.
I was hard up one day and sanitized 2 long zip ties and put them together in somewhat of an "L" shape. I then chucked the contraption into my drill and gave it hell. It wasn't ideal, but it was the only thing I had that would fit through the neck of my Carboy.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Brewkowski

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I thought I'd read about adding very small amounts of Hydrogen Peroxide to react with the sulfites. I mean I'd probably still go with a more natural approach of whipping and splash racking. Maybe buy an SO2 test kit just to get a feel for how much more you need to adjust it.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
LaCroixes
Recipes 

Well, I don't have a power drill either.... But maybe I can borrow one. I've just been splash-racking from the carboy into a bucket, stirring vigorously for a couple of minutes and then splash-racking back to the carboy.

Brewkowski, I've heard of the hydrogen peroxide thing, but I'm not really comfortable with the procedure. I'd rather see how the stirring/whipping works out for this next week. Then I'll force myself to forget about it for a couple-three months before bottling again.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
Brewkowski

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'd be curious to see what your numbers are at, just for my own knowledge, and how quickly it fades after splashing. I normally test my wines and get them around 50ppm before bottling, assuming that I"ll have some splashing during the racking and bottling. Not sure if you have an oxygen tank nearby, but that might work so you don't have to rack it as much.
Technically the legal limit for commercial wine SO2 is like 350ppm, I've heard that it's even hard to detect levels below 100ppm. So if you did 1 tsp/gal, that was maybe like 8 times too much (my container says 1/8 tsp per gal = 100ppm), so something like 800ppm?
Here's a calculater for some SO2 stuff I saw online

http://vinoenology.com/calculators/SO2-addition/

just looked up an example and to remove 600ppm in 3 gal, would take about 110ml of standard 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. They say it can have an affect on oxidizing other compounds, but with a red wine who knows it might age it a little quicker.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Old 06-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Hummer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCroixes View Post
Since I'm new to winemaking (more of a homebrewer), I thought I'd start small with a Vintners Reserve 4-week kit.

I ended up not degassing enough before bottling, and 3 months later, my Cab-Zin blend is all sorts of bubbly. After reading many previous posts on possible remedies, I decided to take 3 gallons of my batch, pour gently back into a carboy, dose with K-meta, and splash rack over the next week or so.

The only problem? I misread the K-meta dosing amounts, and ended up adding 1 tsp/gallon. Not the stupidest thing I've done, but close.

What I want to know is, is this salvageable by further bulk aging, aggressive and frequent splash racking and/or dilution with another non-dosed wine kit? Or should I just chalk it up to experience and dump?
I'm not clear whether you used 3 tsp. in 3 gallons, or 6 tsp. in 6 gallons. Did you recombine the 3 gallons with 3 tsp. to make a 6 gal. batch with 3 tsp. Kmeta? If so, you're probably not too far off the mark.

In any case, you could use the foul up to advantage by bottling and aging the wine for two years before drinking. Rather than drinking it prematurely, at two years it will be a much better wine.

Quick Reply