New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Acorn Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
KOELSCHKING
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyChurch
I have actually read a little on doing this but haven't tried it yet. Acorns are full of tannins and in order to remove them the Indians used to place them in a fast moving stream and the constant flow removed a lot of the tannins. I'd would be very interested in how this turns out
Modern day version: put acorns in a nylon stocking. Hang it in the tank of your toilet. Water will change out every time the toilet is flushed. Remove when water no longer changes color.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
tchuklobrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A buddy of mine just made an acorn beer. after lots of research and an hour phone conversation with an oldtimer, boil till water is clear is not accurate. He was told boil acorns, switching water every 5-10 min(have next pot of water up to boiling before transfer, do not let acorns cool in between switchover). Taste at each water change, bitterness(tannin) is gone they are ready. Oldtimer said that sometimes they will go to mush and be useless long before the water is clear, thus the taste test in between swapping. So this is the method my buddy used and the beer is sooooo good. He has made this recipe before only w/o the acorns. they added such interesting notes, I cant w8 to hear how this acorn wine turns out.

Quick Reply