Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Acetification after 4 days!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
FemmeFubar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Acetification after 4 days!

hi! i'm so happy to find this forum. i'm on my first batch in a number of years - backyard grapes for white wine. i've been following the jackkeller recipe for yard grapes (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request219.asp) and am on day 4 after adding the yeast. this morning i noticed the beginnings of a vinegar taste. i read the jackkeller troubleshooting guide for acetification (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp) so i've decided to add campden tablets and start over.

i'm thinking possible reasons could have been a couple of bad grapes that snuck past me, improper sanitization, or a temperature drop we just had last night.

incidentally, before adding sugar, my s.g. was about 1.045 - i added suagr to 1.090. today i am sitting at 1.000. should i have racked it to my secondary already? now that i've added the campden, do i need to wait, add new yeast, and then rack?

does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me? thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by FemmeFubar View Post
hi! i'm so happy to find this forum. i'm on my first batch in a number of years - backyard grapes for white wine. i've been following the jackkeller recipe for yard grapes (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request219.asp) and am on day 4 after adding the yeast. this morning i noticed the beginnings of a vinegar taste. i read the jackkeller troubleshooting guide for acetification (http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/problems.asp) so i've decided to add campden tablets and start over.

i'm thinking possible reasons could have been a couple of bad grapes that snuck past me, improper sanitization, or a temperature drop we just had last night.

incidentally, before adding sugar, my s.g. was about 1.045 - i added suagr to 1.090. today i am sitting at 1.000. should i have racked it to my secondary already? now that i've added the campden, do i need to wait, add new yeast, and then rack?

does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me? thanks!

If you're at 1.000, the fermentation is just about done. I like to rack to secondary at about 1.010-1.020, but sometimes I miss it. You can rack it now. You can add the campden tablets by crushing them, mixing them with a bit of water and putting them in the carboy, then rack the wine into it.

Aceterobacteria is carried by fruitflies- if you keep the fruitflies out and the fermenter covered, you should be fine. Make sure the airlock has water in it.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #3
FemmeFubar
Recipes 

thanks!

do i have to add more yeast if i have already added the campden tablets? or is it better to just rack it now and leave it? (i like a minimum 12% wine.)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
FemmeFubar
Recipes 

derr...i think it died!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

You don't add more yeast- once it's fermented, there aren't any more sugars for them to eat. Now you let it sit, clear up, and condition a bit. In a few weeks, there will be some lees on the bottom of the container that have some dead yeast and other things in the bottom. When that gets about 1/4 " thick, you rack again and top up with water (or a similar wine) to the top. And wait some more.

Wine making requires a bit of patience, so just throw a towel over the carboy and walk away for at least a month.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
FemmeFubar
Recipes 

I haven't been on here in a while to say it before, but thanks for this!

I just posted to the thread about saving moldy wine, but now that I look here, maybe it answers my question.. so what I see at the bottom that looks like mold could be what you talk about above, and now I should maybe just re-rack?

Quick Reply