Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Accidentally froze yeast slurry, salvageable?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
gravrain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Accidentally froze yeast slurry, salvageable?

So after making some of EdWort's Apfelwein I grabbed the yeast slurry for making a batch of cranberry Skeeter Pee. I tossed the bell jar I put the slurry in into a new kegerator I had just inherited and turned on. Apparently it was waaay too cold and the yeast slurry froze. I have transferred it to the main fridge for it to warm up slowly hoping that some of the slurry is salvageable.
Just wondering if anyone knew if a pretty thick slurry of yeast could survive a night and day of being frozen.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

There has to be some viable cells left, why not throw it into a starter and rejuvinate it a bit, then rewash? You will have perfrctly pitchable yeast after that

Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
LakewoodBrew
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's probably fine, just let it thaw out slowly. Pitching a starter woudn't hurt either.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsethall View Post
There has to be some viable cells left, why not throw it into a starter and rejuvinate it a bit, then rewash? You will have perfrctly pitchable yeast after that
My thoughts exactly.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
gravrain
Recipes 

Awesome, I'll gently bring it to pitching temp and see if anything takes. If anything cool happens I'll let y'all know.

Thanks.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As the yeast freeze, ice crystals form that pierce the cell walls. As it warms up the now dead cells will leak out their contents, releasing enzymes which will cause any cells that survive to cease fermentation. In short, it's toast. Toss it, do another batch of cider as a new starter and try again... you'll be making more cider anyway, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
As the yeast freeze, ice crystals form that pierce the cell walls. As it warms up the now dead cells will leak out their contents, releasing enzymes which will cause any cells that survive to cease fermentation. In short, it's toast. Toss it, do another batch of cider as a new starter and try again... you'll be making more cider anyway, no doubt.
If I am hearing this correctly, there is absolutely no chance of being able to save the starter? You couldn't do a step up with a wash in between each step and end up with viable yeast?

Old 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Actually, you can stop the ice splintering effect by re-heating as quickly as possible. For meat, it's by microwave. Yeast is going to be dead either way.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1712 Times on 1601 Posts

In all likelihood, it's no longer any good. But, if it were me, I would try making a fresh starter with it and seeing if it ferments, and perhaps even stepping it up and making another starter with that yeast, if the first was somehow successful.

Then again, I currently have two 5-gal buckets containing a combined 25kg (55lbs) of DME, so I don't mind wasting some

Quick Reply