Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > 70 Year Old Depression Wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
APendejo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I grew up in a small town in central Ca. Back in the 60's they were tearing down a lot of the old victorian houses in the town. When we saw a chance, a friend and I would go in with our little red wagon and scrounge all the old lead gas lamp pipe we could find and haul it down to the scrapyard for a few cents.
Under the front porch of one old house we found a whole wooden case of quart sized flip top bottles, there was a wooden lid on the box and there was excelsior packing around the bottles. The bottles were embossed with a paper lable on the opposite side of the embossing.
The name on the case and on the bottles and lables was
McCaffrey Brewing Co.
San Luis Obispo, California.
The red rubber seals were in rough shape on the outside but we opened one bottle and the seal was still good on the inside, only thing was, the beer smelled like mega-azz.
We sold the whole case to an antique dealer.
I later learned that the McCaffrey's owned the biggest bar in town and brewed their own from the 1870's until prohibition started.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply