Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > 65lbs Organic Blueberries....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
sTiNkFiZzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default 65lbs Organic Blueberries....

Help! A friend gave me 65lbs of fresh Organic Blueberries. I have a grape crusher, fermenting bottles, camden tabs, and 4lbs of corn sugar. Id like to tey to come up with at least 10 gallons of wine from this. Any recipes, guides, suggestions. My only wine expedience is Apfelwein. Please help! I am also a fan of more dry wines and the wifey likes sweeter wines. So any yeast recommendations would be great.

Last edited by sTiNkFiZzle; 07-10-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
ruffcutt
Recipes 

Sorry to jack your thread, but I have a blue berry question too.

I picked about 2/3 of a gallon of wild Alaskan low bush blue berries today, and I'm gonna get more tomorrow. I rinsed them as soon as I got home and put them in the freezer. Is there anything else I should do to them? Do I just crush them and strain out the juice and mix it until I have a gravity I like, or is there something I don't know? I guess I'm a little worried because I found a millipede in them when I was rinsing them, but that just goes with wine making right?

Should I steep them or would that set the pectin? (I have campden tablets, but don't really want to use them unless I have to)

I plan on using a wine yeast (the only shop in the area in out of champagne yeast), but I'm not sure as to which one.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4284 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

I wouldn't boil or steep fruit. I'd use the campden tablets, one per gallon, in the must. You crush them well, and dissolve them in some water, and add them to the must. Wait 12 hours, and add pectic enzyme (if using in that recipe) and wait another 12 hours and add the yeast. The campden tablets will sanitize the must, killing wild yeast, bacteria, and other spoiling microorganisms.

If you really don't want to use sulfites, then you could boil if you wanted. I don't like "cooked fruit" flavor in my wines.

As far as recipes, I love Jack Keller's website. I like drier wines, but he has several recipes of varying amounts of sweetness. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request108.asp and http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request227.asp

Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Nikkimaija
Recipes 

I wish I had known last fall that I could freeze the berries to crush 'em. Also that boiling is unnecessary. Hey, I'm a brewer. We boil stuff, right? Nevertheless, I just bottled 5 gals of huckleberry wine from Oct that was just gorgeous despite all my mistakes. If you and wife like different sweetness levels, you could always make it dry, then sweeten back and stabilize a portion when you bottle. I used a Wyeast smack pack yeast intended for a Riesling - I'm sure that's all wrong too, but it seemed to do the job.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
ruffcutt
Recipes 

Thanks for the input.

Do I need to worry about all my berries still having the stem on them, I mean is the stem going to be broken down into dangerous levels of methanol?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
brewin570
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Blueberries are my favorite to work with. 2 1/2 lbs per gallon of water and 2 lbs of sugar. It will easily cover your 10 gallons. Use some yeast nutrient every week or so to keep fermentation going, it can get stubborn. +1 to YooperBrew dont boil berries.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
ruffcutt
Recipes 

If all goes well today I'm gonna start a experimental gallon of blueberry wine this afternoon. I don't have a scale, and I didn't buy the berries so I don't know how much they weigh. My plan is measure the berries by volume, and make a few one gallon batches to see what I like more.

Wish me luck, and feel free to send any advice you got my way.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Yan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffcutt View Post
Thanks for the input.

Do I need to worry about all my berries still having the stem on them, I mean is the stem going to be broken down into dangerous levels of methanol?
methanol doesn't come from fermentation, but destructive distillation (burning under pressure) of woody material. Or from the refining of oil. The most the stems could add is extra tannin, which can be a good thing.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I wouldn't boil or steep fruit. I'd use the campden tablets, one per gallon, in the must.
How does this kill the wild yeast but permit the chosen yeast to thrive and ferment?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If the blueberries are about the size of marbles, then 1 layer thick layed down flat in a 1 qt. baggie will be about 1 pound. Once they are thawed you can easily crush them in the baggies with a rolling pin. I like the Montrachet yeast. Actually you can crush more, faster, in a gallon baggie.

Quick Reply