The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > 5 gallon water jugs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
mikder82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5 gallon water jugs

Is there a downside to using the 5 gallon water jugs you can buy at the grocery store instead of a 5 gallon better bottle? At a quarter of the price, they are very tempting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
loucurr
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

I use them all the time and have only had one recent issue in two years and have brewed many good beers. I only use them for secondary though. Recently one of my bottles separated at the seam on the bottom...thank god it was during cleaning and sanitizing that I discovered it and not after putting beer in it...that would have been bad.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
FlyinDan1017
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used to have concerns with the handle maybe causing issues, and just started using them recently. I think what sealed it as ok was seeing quite a few on the shelves in a winery's storage room. Prob either personal or test batches, but if good enough for them....

Secondary: Coco-Strawberry Wine, Pumpkin Wine, Apple Cider

Bottled/Aging: Pear Wine, Strawberry Wine, Blueberry/Blackberry Wine, Mixed Berry Wine (Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, & Cherry), Jalapeno Liquor, Skeeder Pee

Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
mikder82
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The ones I've found are the ones without handles. They actually look very similar to the better bottles. At $9 a piece, I figure I'd give them a shot. I'm picking grapes next weekend. Roughly #100.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 852

Quote:
Originally Posted by loucurr View Post
I use them all the time and have only had one recent issue in two years and have brewed many good beers. I only use them for secondary though. Recently one of my bottles separated at the seam on the bottom...thank god it was during cleaning and sanitizing that I discovered it and not after putting beer in it...that would have been bad.
I don't use any Better Bottles, but I've read in one of the beer forums that Better Bottles also tend to split on the bottom seam. IIRC they were pointing to hot washing with PBW. To prevent cracking, I also think they rock these on a tennis ball to oxygenate the beer.
Preparing: 2'd Clone | Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone | ESB
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @ Free State Homebrew Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Black Butte Porter Clone | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
Trail
Can't stand the heat, stays out of the kitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

The major issue with water bottles is material. A lot of them are #6 (polystyrene) plastic - you want #2, which is not a known carcinogen. You know, like #6 plastic is.

I've heard a lot of hooplah about plastic fermenters leeching oxygen into the brew but this appears to be apocryphal.

Kegged: Dry Irish Stout
Bottled: Dark English Mild
Bottled: No. 4 Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: Honey Saison

Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner
Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
tokerlund
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

To me, it is all about the plastic number. I have found a few that are #1 or #2 and I use them for short term fermenting. Anything that will sit for a month or two, I try to use my better bottles instead. Probably just superstitious, but. . .

Quick Reply