Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > 5 Gal pear wine only half filled fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
GaryAJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default 5 Gal pear wine only half filled fermenting

Hi all, Im a bit concerned I started a 5 gal batch of pear wine last week and ive just strained it off into a 5 gal barrel with air lock but by the time ive got rid of the pulp im left with 3 1/2 gals of juice which is leaving a big gap at the top...was just concerned about leaving such a big gap of air...will this go bad and spoil ?

Thanx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yes, get a 3 gallon carboy and a jug and rack into those. Did you press your pears or just dice them up and add them to get so much pulp? WVMJ

GaryAJ Likes This 
Old 10-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
GaryAJ
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just diced em up tbh and I haven't got a press...tried to squeeze a much juice out of em when I racked it off.
Ill have a look for a 3 gal tomorrow, thought a gal would be too much.

TY

Old 10-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
buzzerj
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always keep an assortment of carboys to fill when I do a wine. I have 6.5, 6, 5, 3, 1 and 0.5 gallon carboys/bottles to use so I have options when racking to keep the amount of free air space in each container as low as possible. I use white grape juice in my pear wine so if I need to top up in a secondary I have some juice to add and let a bit of fermentation to restart. Save those Carlo Rossi gallon jugs when you get them as they come in real handy when you find yourself in a situation like you are currently experiencing.

Quick Reply