Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > 3 Gallon Kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
HOP-HEAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default 3 Gallon Kits?

I've been extract brewing beers for a short while now, and would like to try a batch of wine for the significant other. I'd like to keep the first go-around simple, probably a higher end Riesling kit. The problem I am having is finding a smaller kit. Especially being my first attempt, I'd really rather end up with 15 bottles versus what seems to be the standard 30 (6 gal)... is there anywhere I can buy half batch kits?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Jeff48
Recipes 

WE has a 3 gallon dry sherry kit has has got good reviews.

Drinking:Blondie's Amer. Ale 3- Pyramid Power Cervezas 3 - Georgie Washington's Vogelkirsche - Breakfast of Champions (Orange Heffe)- Himbeerehefeweizenbier (Raz Heffe)-Erin Go Bragh - Excalibur Stout AG - Moondust (Blue Moon clone)

Prim:
2ndry:Amarillo Blondie 2-PP Cervezas 4
Conditioning:Petey's AG Porter- John Barleywine Must Live

Hops Grown in 08: Magnum, Goldings, Cascade, Centennial

Wine:
Prim.- AUS Shiraz
2ndry- Gewurztraminer - Port
Bottle Aging- Burgeron Blanc

Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

What you're looking for likely isn't available in the US. Almost all kit manufacturers have what's called "specialty wine kits" that come in three gallon sizes of pure juice. These will be sweet dessert style wines like the one the previous poster mentioned.

You can always try the Alexander's concentrates that come in cans and require about two cans for a 3-gallon batch. They wouldn't fall under the "premium" category though.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

In that case, does anyone have a good Riesling recipe that I could just buy the ingredients without a kit and come out with a good quality beverage?

And still keep it relatively simple for the first go-around.....?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I havent personally used a whine kit at all. When ever the call to whine has taken me i have simply fallowed a very very simple recipe

X gallons of fresh unpasturized juice (bought from the local organic food store for more money then god normally 8-15$ per gallon)

input required number of camp tabs for treatment

research yeast to use while treating, and purchase as well as assemble any aditives required (citic acid, tan, or etc) and input those as well.

Pinch yeast when required and keep track.

Made a great batch of cherry champagne this way, as well as 3 other wines which got good reviews from friends and family. you might just try keeping it simple as that, rather then trying to find a kit that can match your requested volume... or if your uncomfortable with that then buy a full kit and cut it in half...

cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post
In that case, does anyone have a good Riesling recipe that I could just buy the ingredients without a kit and come out with a good quality beverage?

And still keep it relatively simple for the first go-around.....?
I'd still go with Alexander's Riesling concentrate and follow the recipe on the can. Since you can only make Riesling wine from Riesling grapes this is really your only option outside of a kit unless you have access to Riesling grapes or juice. Try using Lalvin K1V-1116 or Red Star Côte des Blancs yeasts and it should make you a decent batch of Riesling.

Quick Reply