2nd Project wine, Chemical Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaslam07

Reaction score
Hi, my 1st batch of apple and blackberry wine went great, i want to just have some fun and do my own recipe and see what happens, it might taste horrible but aslong as it doesnt kill me i dont mind, i just want to know if i need anything special to put in it to kill or certain germs in certain ingredients for example pecto lase to is used with fruit ? anyway this is what im going to mash together.
2l Apple Juice
1l Pineapple Juice
Some Real Pure Honey
Few Tablespoons of Golden Sryup
2 Bananas
1 tin of pear halves

Thanks

Make sure there are no addatives in any of those juices. Some addatives will not let fermentation start. As far as bacteria - you might be looking for campden tablets. They are usually added at the beginning to take care of any nasties. Follow the directions and wait 24 hrs after campden tabs before pitching your yeast.

If you are using shelf stable products that list potassium or sodium metabisulfate, or a sulfite/sulfate, then you will not need to add Campden until you rack for the very first time. If sorbate is listed I recommend using a yeast starter.
Simply try to avoid a product with benzoate on ingredient list--that can usually make it very difficult to maintain a ferment. I have never had a ferment fail when the ingredient list showed k-meta and/or sorbate...but benzoate got ugly.

You will definitely want to use a pectic enzyme, perhaps tannin, potentially an acid, and yeast nutrient would not hurt. Overall, the blend of items sounds delightful.

Back