Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > 1 gallon Plum wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #11
johnnync
WPW Contractor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1

well i went ahead and racked it tonight...only 5 days in

But there was a about and inch or so of sediment on the bottom and about half had started to "clear" .

Got 1 gallon and 1 750ml wine bottle.
wish I had some 375ml bottles............and more airlocks!

also I got one wine bottle with LOTS of sediment....so with no airlocks I sorbated it and corked it...........and then I ran outside and put it in a cooler!
Dont know how this is going to work out but I really wanted enough to top off on my next racking.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
feffer
Recipes 

Sorry, didn't see this earlier. Yes, back-sweeten. Will do some taste tests and add 70% of the best one plus K-sorbate. Then let it sit for a few weeks and taste again. One can always add more sugar but can't pull it out again.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #13
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I just juiced around 20 lbs of plums. I'm not sure how much actual juice we have yet. But it might be more than 1 gallon. This will be my very first attempt at a wine, I'm excited to try it.

Is it ok, if I use 100% plum juice not any water to top off the 1gal mark? Or is it important/necessary to use some extra water?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
feffer
Recipes 

Yes, it's fine to use just the plum juice. If you're a little short some water is no problem. Several experienced people use the pure juice. You will need to check your SG to see how much sugar to add -- you'll probably need some. Also, it's probably better to just ferment the juice alone w/o the pulp and skins which can add a lot of acid.

On the other hand, many recipes including Jack Keller's ones use water. I've done these in the past. This year, I'll do some of each. Good luck with your wine!

Quick Reply