Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Coffee > Coffee: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #191
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 1,312
Liked 206 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Default

i think i put it in a fine mesh bag and let hang out in the primary for about 5 days. the coffee flavor was strong and i did use quite a bit that might have something to do with it.

coffee is one of those things there isn't really any solid guidance on. no tried n true rules of thumb it seems

__________________
jammin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #192
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
TallDan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gurnee, Illinois
Posts: 1,728
Liked 262 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
i think i put it in a fine mesh bag and let hang out in the primary for about 5 days. the coffee flavor was strong and i did use quite a bit that might have something to do with it.

coffee is one of those things there isn't really any solid guidance on. no tried n true rules of thumb it seems

Agreed. Lots of conflicting opinions on the best way to add coffee to beer.

Mmm... Espresso...
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413651260.869077.jpg
__________________
TallDan is offline
passedpawn Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #193
HarborTownBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 70
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
I've been stalking sweet maria's for when the 1600 plus gets back in stock. I'm ready to go ahead with it myself. Where did you order yours from?
I ordered from Roastmasters.com. I looked all around the web for the best price and availability, but no one had anything. All the roaster sale sites started to offer good deals for pre-ordering the Behmor, and the best two deals I found were:

1) Roastmasters: Behmor 1600 Plus for $369, 8lbs free coffee, free shipping, and $10 credit toward future coffee purchase of $25. Ship roaster end of October.

2) Sweet Marias: Behmor 1600 Plus for $369, 8lbs free coffee. Ship roaster early November.

So I opted for the guaranteed free shipping (couldn't figure out if Sweet Marias offered it), and I'll get the $10 credit.

I'd say no matter who you go with, try to pre-order. Only a few sites were allowing pre-order, but that way you are on the list. I got an email from Roastmasters yesterday saying my roaster will ship on or around Oct. 30.
__________________
HarborTownBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 02:06 AM   #194
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 1,312
Liked 206 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Default

have you guys contacted behmor for a refurb?

the list is usually long, but it's it a good savings. might as well put your name in the hat.


also - why not get a drum roaster? they are more expensive but offer MUCH more control over the roast. I've roasted on nearly everything and a Hottop (manual version) is a fantastic entry level choice.

__________________
jammin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 02:27 AM   #195
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
TallDan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gurnee, Illinois
Posts: 1,728
Liked 262 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborTownBrewing View Post
I ordered from Roastmasters.com. I looked all around the web for the best price and availability, but no one had anything. All the roaster sale sites started to offer good deals for pre-ordering the Behmor, and the best two deals I found were:

1) Roastmasters: Behmor 1600 Plus for $369, 8lbs free coffee, free shipping, and $10 credit toward future coffee purchase of $25. Ship roaster end of October.

2) Sweet Marias: Behmor 1600 Plus for $369, 8lbs free coffee. Ship roaster early November.

So I opted for the guaranteed free shipping (couldn't figure out if Sweet Marias offered it), and I'll get the $10 credit.

I'd say no matter who you go with, try to pre-order. Only a few sites were allowing pre-order, but that way you are on the list. I got an email from Roastmasters yesterday saying my roaster will ship on or around Oct. 30.
Awesome. Roastmasters says they'll be on stock on the 30th for current orders as well. Preordered. On top of the $10 credit and free shipping, they're on the east coast, so it will get here sooner than sweet maria's. Thanks for the heads up!
__________________
TallDan is offline
HarborTownBrewing Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #196
HarborTownBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 70
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
have you guys contacted behmor for a refurb?

the list is usually long, but it's it a good savings. might as well put your name in the hat.


also - why not get a drum roaster? they are more expensive but offer MUCH more control over the roast. I've roasted on nearly everything and a Hottop (manual version) is a fantastic entry level choice.
I thought about going the refurb route, but from pricing I saw, it didn't seem necessarily worth it for the wait and having a refurb unit. Plus it wouldn't have the latest control board, so there is that part of it if it's a priority to some.

Well, the Behmor is a drum roaster, so I suppose it falls into that category. But why not a Hottop? It's 3x the price as the Behmor and can't handle as heavy of a load as I understand (1/2 lb in the Hottop vs 1 lb in the Behmor). Since I roast very light roasts, I should be able to get away with 1lb roasts in the Behmor.

But in terms of price, there is no way I'm going to drop over a thousand bucks on my first roaster. I'm married, after all
__________________
HarborTownBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #197
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
TallDan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gurnee, Illinois
Posts: 1,728
Liked 262 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborTownBrewing View Post
I thought about going the refurb route, but from pricing I saw, it didn't seem necessarily worth it for the wait and having a refurb unit. Plus it wouldn't have the latest control board, so there is that part of it if it's a priority to some.

Well, the Behmor is a drum roaster, so I suppose it falls into that category. But why not a Hottop? It's 3x the price as the Behmor and can't handle as heavy of a load as I understand (1/2 lb in the Hottop vs 1 lb in the Behmor). Since I roast very light roasts, I should be able to get away with 1lb roasts in the Behmor.

But in terms of price, there is no way I'm going to drop over a thousand bucks on my first roaster. I'm married, after all
Agreed on all points with the refurb. It would have to save me more money than it does. I also looked at used 1600's on ebay and such, considering that the control board can be swapped out, but used roasters in decent condition are going for almost $300. By the time you consider shipping costs, the 8lb sampler, and the control board, there is very little savings over new.

Also have to agree on behmor vs hottop. For a first roaster (well, second after re-purposing the popcorn popper) $1k just seems excessive. I'll see how long i stick with roasting coffee with the behmor. If it seems like i'll get the use out of it, I might switch up to a hot top in a few years, and given what I mentioned above about prices of used behmors I won't lose much money on it.
__________________
TallDan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #198
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Meridian, ID
Posts: 1,312
Liked 206 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Default

^hottop sells refutes as well. that's how I got my first one. HT's are well built and easy to fix too.


if you want to do 1lb roasts in your behmor - get yourself a good variac and kill-a-watt. 1lb is a big job on any roaster working off of 110v. doesn't matter what BS rating is slapped on it.

__________________
jammin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roasting Coffee rowan57 Coffee 33 07-27-2014 01:41 PM
Coffee Roasting Recipes AleForce1 Coffee 1 05-07-2014 06:11 AM
Grinding leaf hops in coffee grinder heyblinkin General Techniques 10 06-08-2012 08:02 PM
Grinding Coffee in a Barleycrusher Bearcat Brewmeister Equipment/Sanitation 6 11-22-2009 07:12 PM
I want some info on coffee roasting Kevin Dean General Chit Chat 70 08-22-2009 03:45 PM