Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Coffee > Coffee: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #1
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3058 Times on 1925 Posts
Likes Given: 2594

Default Coffee: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

I'm a coffee addict, and I bet a lot of other members here are also. I LOVE a rich cup of coffee.

I was just thinking how much similar the art of coffee and beer are. Buying raw ingredients, roasting, milling, sparging, tasting... pretty close to what we are doing with our beer obsession. And, it's funny that very similar equipment is used by electric beer brewers and coffee makers (check out Auber Instruments offerings). Even the nuances of coffee and beer tasting are analogous.

I'm just now thinking about getting into it. What do you guys use for roasting, etc? What equipment? Where to you get your beans? Do you filter water? What temps?

Any good sites out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #2
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't roast, but I have my share of coffee brewing equipment:

Rancilio Rocky Grinder
Rancilio Silvia Espresso machine with PID for temp control - Weekend workhorse
Technivorm Moccamaster - Daily workhorse drip brewer
Bodum French Press - used to be my weekend brewer before i got Miss Silvia
Bodum Vacuum pot
Stovetop moka pot
Chemex pour-over

I've been meaning to take the barista class at Intelligentsia, but haven't make the time for it. Maybe I should go look at that...

Old 01-09-2014, 03:07 AM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

This is a great page for explaining the roasting process. I'm going to re-purpose a hot-air popcorn maker for this. I always wondered what the difference was between Vienna Roast, French Roast, etc.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/instructions.php

Old 01-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
pricelessbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I started roasting a bit ago, mostly for a side hobby and saving some money. It's interesting and gives great coffee even if you mess it up since it's so fresh.
These are the methods I use: Cast iron skillet in oven then transfer to stovetop. Stir like crazy until you hear pops and looks good. Pour into mesh strainer and stir again to get rid of chaffe and cool the beans.
Don't forget to get good ventilation!
http://thehomemadeexperiment.com/how...st-coffee-pan/
http://sciencefare.org/2012/02/22/be...fee-two-stage/

Old 01-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 889 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1956

There is a homebrew store, Seven Bridges Co-op, that also features raw coffee beans and roasters. Its at www.breworganic.com

I've read mixed reviews of the popcorn popper method - you can also do it in very small batches on the stove. But a real roaster seems like the way to go.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
TallDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricelessbrewing View Post
I started roasting a bit ago, mostly for a side hobby and saving some money. It's interesting and gives great coffee even if you mess it up since it's so fresh.
These are the methods I use: Cast iron skillet in oven then transfer to stovetop. Stir like crazy until you hear pops and looks good. Pour into mesh strainer and stir again to get rid of chaffe and cool the beans.
Don't forget to get good ventilation!
http://thehomemadeexperiment.com/how...st-coffee-pan/
http://sciencefare.org/2012/02/22/be...fee-two-stage/
OK, I'm pretty interested in giving this a try now. I had previously not done it because i thought that roasting gave off too much smoke to do indoors. Can you comment on what you have had to do to deal with the smoke? Does the typical range hood that vents outside take care of it?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
pricelessbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Definitely will take care of it. I usually roast about 2/3 Cup at a time, using an aeropress it lasts me a few days at a time. I don't even have a vent hood where I'm at.
I opened a window, put a box fan on the countertop to the right of the stove pointed at the window, and a oscillating floor fan to the left of the stove pointing at the window. This was overkill.
Now I just open the window and use the oscillating fan to the left. Makes it a little smokey, but no alarms have gone off so far.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 1154

Getting ready to start roasting at home as well. Personally going to start with the popcorn popper method as in inexpensive way into the hobby and know several people that get very good results this way. Along with Sweet Maria's, Coffee Bean Corral has good prices on green coffee beans too. Also, Art of Manliness has instructions on how to roast coffee on a gas burner outdoors that I may consider trying when I want to make larger batches.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 02-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #9
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinHooligan View Post
Getting ready to start roasting at home as well. Personally going to start with the popcorn popper method as in inexpensive way into the hobby and know several people that get very good results this way. Along with Sweet Maria's, Coffee Bean Corral has good prices on green coffee beans too. Also, Art of Manliness has instructions on how to roast coffee on a gas burner outdoors that I may consider trying when I want to make larger batches.
Hey, that thing they are using is just a fancy Whirley-Pop popcorn popper. I have one of those! I'm going to try that out. Very cool link. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1072 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 1154

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Hey, that thing they are using is just a fancy Whirley-Pop popcorn popper. I have one of those! I'm going to try that out. Very cool link. Thanks.

When I saw that article I thought to myself, I bet most of us here have some sort of out door burner and figured it was fitting for this thread

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Quick Reply