Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > Whirlpooling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #21
craigmw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've done two BIAB batches now with a friend of mine. He's been brewing on his RIMS system for many years, and I've been brewing with him for about the last 4 years. We both noticed that whirlpooling before cooling in a counterflow chiller did not give the same result as we've always seen with RIMS mashing. The BIAB whirlpooling left quite a bit of suspended hops and trub floating at the bottom of the kettle as the wort was drained out, even with a Whirfloc tablet added. With the RIMS, we usually see a compact cone of trub. But, the BIAB trub seemed less dense, almost greasy. Much more of it ended up in the fermenter than similar brews using the RIMS approach. I think this is likely due to the fact that we've used double milled grains. Even so, these beers turned out excellent, with nice clarity. So in the end, try whirlpooling with a paddle or long spoon when you shut off the heat in the boil kettle, but don't be too concerned if you find more trub in the fermenter. As for hop gunk getting stuck in a CFC, a torpedo tube or hop bag might be a good way to prevent clogs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #22
shuckit
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I whirlpool using a pump and let it settle before racking to a carboy. Used a hop spider for a while but have good clean beer without one.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When I have tried the "spoon in the bk" method, after settling there is just a layer evenly spread along the bottom. Are you supposed to drain as the whirlpool is still spinning to make the trub cone? If so I'm going to need to get a bulkhead and spigot, might as well get a sight glass too. *sigh* it never ends haha

Old 08-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #24
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63belair View Post
I always throw my pellets right into the boil and have never had any hops show up in my glass.
I have. On a heavily pellet-dryhopped batch in which I got real clumsy... during the trip from kettle to carboy, then carboy to bottling bucket. Embarrassing.

Roughly 1/3 of the bottles were affected, though that's largely because after the first 1/3 were gone the mini-trub in each bottle had compacted too much for the hops to float around.

(Yes, there was trub in each bottle. Did I mention I f*#@ed that batch up?)

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #25
harebearva
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I whirpool with a spoon like others have and use my autosiphon to rack to a carboy but I modify my whirlpool slightly. I tilt the brewpot to one side about an inch or so once I finish stirring and put the autosiphon in on the high side after everything settles. Whenever I whirpooled in the past, as the pot drained the break/hop or whatever extraneous material was in there would get drawn to the siphon even with a good cone in the middle. With the slight tilt, the material will collect to one side and It's tougher for the sediment to travel 'uphill'. I almost always leave a pint or more in the brewpot anyway to avoid the break material, but this way keeps it as clear as I can hope for. Works for me anyway.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #26
Dieffenbach
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thus far I have used the whirpool method with VERY LITTLE success. I use a sanitized spoon, stir like mad for a minute, put the lid on the kettle and then wait 20 minutes. Each time I am rather disappointed that I do not see the nice trub cone often eluded to. On my recent batch I added another measure of trub control - a paint strainer bag. I filtered my wort through the strainer bag on its way into my fermenter (Speidel). This collected A LOT of trub, so much I had a hard time pulling it out of the fermenter. I think my whirlpool lacks efficiency because I have a pickup tube and a future whirlpool (with use of pump) fitting welded inside and that disrupts the whirlpool. For those looking to prefilter, try the paint strainer bag as I feel you will find them very suitable to your needs.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
ajandrs
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried my first whirlpool last week and also had miserable results. I was afraid all the fittings and diptubes in the BK would disrupt the circular flow too much so I drained from the BK through my plate chiller and into an older BK with no holes or attachments. I then stirred for 5 minutes, let sit for 12 minutes and while there was a thin layer of trub on the bottom, it was certainly no cone ... and it all came loose as I siphoned off the side so I ended up just dumping the entire amount into the carboy. I then brought it down to pitching temp (54 for this lager) and then racked it off an inch of trub into a clean carboy before pitching.

I'm in the process of building a keggle and will have a recirc port for cooling and whirlpooling, we'll see how that goes but I don't have high hopes. I'll probably end up doing what others have suggested and draining the BK into a bucket lined with a paint strainer bag (or would my BIAB bag work fine for this?), pull that out and then pour into the carboy. It's an extra step but won't take more than a couple minutes. Probably not worth it for most beers, but on lighter lagers I'll do it to elimiate any possibility of trub induced off flavors.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #28
Trail
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I've had good results when using half a whirlfloc tablet at the end of the boil. Without finings, not so much.

Kegged: Scottish Ale
Bottled: Honey Saison
Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner (Still!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Depends what your expectations are. You aren't going to get a solid cone in the center while stirring with a spoon as you would with a proper recirculation system. However, you can get a nice separation of clear wort from the trub. I don't worry if some of the trub gets into my fermenter, it just settles out and I still get perfect clarity on most brews. I just look at this as that its better than not doing anything and it really doesn't require any extra work, its just something I do while cleaning up post-boil.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Old 10-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #30
Kahless
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam_and_eggs View Post
I've tried whirlpooling twice without much luck. I use a hop spider and was wondering if throwing hops right into the boil will actually help with whirlpooling (the trub will have something to grab on to while spinning). Any thoughts?
This is what I do; the layer of hops in the trub cone seems to hold things together and reduce the effect of the syphon pulling up any trub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPayne View Post
When I have tried the "spoon in the bk" method, after settling there is just a layer evenly spread along the bottom. Are you supposed to drain as the whirlpool is still spinning to make the trub cone? If so I'm going to need to get a bulkhead and spigot, might as well get a sight glass too. *sigh* it never ends haha
I cool by stirring around the outside (So that the spoon is held vertical) for 5 minutes while the pot is submerged in an ice water bath (colander underneath so that ice water can recirculate) with a running tap and slightly draining plug. 5 or 10 minutes after the stir I put the lid on the pot and make sure no one touches it for the next 20 minutes to half an hour. I've never not had a nice cone (although it is easily disturbed so I have to be careful when syphoning), although as mentioned above dried hops are just thrown into the boil (no idea what would happen with pellets or if hops were strained out beforehand somehow).

Quick Reply