Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > Whirlpooling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
geoffm33
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoat View Post
Nope, just throw them right in. I don't understand why people get so crazy about their hops, and why they use devices to contain them or strain them out. I use pellets and throw them in the boil, never once have I ever had a shred of hops show up in a glass of beer, and that includes a variety of brewing methods. If any end up in the fermenter they will always settle out.
Good to hear. I use a hop spider mainly because I went through a DIY phase and built stuff I didn't really need But I want to simplify things. I have to take the kettle off the stove to put the immersion chiller in (range hood gets in the way) so having to take out the hop spider and put it back in over the IC is a pain in the ass.

I've started to whirlpool the last two batches so I figured I should just ditch the hop spider anyway.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
EODstads
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Nope, just throw them right in. I don't understand why people get so crazy about their hops, and why they use devices to contain them or strain them out. I use pellets and throw them in the boil, never once have I ever had a shred of hops show up in a glass of beer, and that includes a variety of brewing methods. If any end up in the fermenter they will always settle out.
I think that it's just a "new toy" kind of mindset....I know I love gadgets!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

gotcha, I'm a fan of the DIY gadgets too. Should have mentioned that I have a little homemade aerator device that I attach to my siphon hose to inject some oxygen into the wort as it racks over to the bucket. Simple project (2 minutes) and effective.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

geoffm33 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODstads View Post
I think that it's just a "new toy" kind of mindset....I know I love gadgets!
+1

I always throw my pellets right into the boil and have never had any hops show up in my glass. That being said I think they allow people to be a little less patient than I am. I always let my beers ferment for a minimum of 4 weeks and then carefully rack into a keg, set it at 12psi and wait another 2-3 weeks. Same thing if I bottle. Other than a little Irish Moss and lots of waiting, I've never done anything out of my way to get clear beer, but my brews are always very clear.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

+ infinity

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 07-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #16
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
I don't think people are very worried about them winding up in the kettle. I think most are concern with clogging equipment like plate and counter flow chillers.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewbien View Post
I don't think people are very worried about them winding up in the kettle. I think most are concern with clogging equipment like plate and counter flow chillers.
This makes sense, but I think there are a lot of people going through great effort to strain out everything they can in the kettle who aren't using pumps/plate chillers/etc

Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll be whirlpooling with a spoon in future. Did my first batch the other day and was shocked at the 1-2 inches of trub that appeared in my fermenter within hours of transferring.
I figure I just need to give the wort and swirl and leave it for half an hour or so, instead of dumping it straight in to the fermenter.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppers16 View Post
I'll be whirlpooling with a spoon in future. Did my first batch the other day and was shocked at the 1-2 inches of trub that appeared in my fermenter within hours of transferring.
I figure I just need to give the wort and swirl and leave it for half an hour or so, instead of dumping it straight in to the fermenter.
yes, but the trub in the fermenter isn't doing anything bad to your beer or causing any trouble. Even though I tend to do a little whirlpool before transferring over to primary, I never worry about having trub end up in my fermenter. I used to just dump the entire contents of the kettle into my primary and have always been able to get clear beer.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #20
spam_and_eggs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've tried whirlpooling twice without much luck. I use a hop spider and was wondering if throwing hops right into the boil will actually help with whirlpooling (the trub will have something to grab on to while spinning). Any thoughts?

Quick Reply