Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > What's mash-out in BIAB and what is it for? Do we need it at all?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default What's mash-out in BIAB and what is it for? Do we need it at all?

I have been BIAB brewing for a few months and have seen many different terms that describe methods (sometimes related, sometimes not related to what I have been doing) and there is this sparging....which is the rinsing of the grains after the mash and seem to be a practice done by those who use coolers s mashtuns. Since I am a BIAB brewer, sparging is not for me. I do everything in the pot and the only type of sparging I do is a "dunk sparge".....dunking my mashbag in 2 gallons of water (9.24 gallons is the amount of my total water....so my dunk sparge is not much of a sparge...but whatever...it seems to work just fine).

Now.....the mash-out......what is it really for? Is it for us to raise the temperature to 167-185F and leave the grains there for better sugar extraction and also to denature the enzymes in the wort?

I am wondering if these 2 ideas are behind the mashout in BIAB or I am totally wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Catawampus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The mash out in general serves two purposes: 1) to denature the enzymes and "set" the profile of the beer, and 2) to heat up the sugars such that they rinse off easier (which is all a sparge is). For non-BIAB/sparging folks, the mash out may be more important, because they are working with thicker mashes. In BIAB, the mash is usually thinner (for folks not doing a sparge). And, 185 F is probably a little high for a mashout--you have really watch about extracting bad stuff from the grain husks.

I don't mash out and don't sparge at all. I can tell very little difference in efficiency. In BIAB, hitting numbers is mostly about maintaining mash temps and procedures, and your crush.

"You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are." - Colonel Adolphus Busch

Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
ODI3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In biab, dont bother. Since there is no delay between mashing and boiling there is no reason to put effort into denaturing the enzymes, it happens when you boil. Since biab has such high grain to water ratio, we tend to have very good efficency. (I get 80% mash eff most of the time)

My 15 gal EBIAB Brewing Rig:
Http://www.londonbrewers.ca/blog

Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 544 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 10

A mash-out is not needed for BIAB IMHO. Some people claim higher efficiency when doing a mash-out, but science doesn't support this, again IMHO. Do what you like, or try it both ways and report back.

The original Aussie method included a mash-out, perhaps that has carried over to the notion that it is essential, IDK.

Additionally, instead of doing your dunk sparge, you can also try just setting your bag over the kettle and pouring the small amount of sparge water slowly over the grain (whatever is needed to reach pre-boil volume), I find this easier than dunking in another vessel.

SDJay Likes This 
Old 10-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Ixtlanas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never done a mine-sparge, milling my grains fine give me a stable 90% of mash efficiency, but I'd like to a have a little more of final volume in fermenter, cause my evaporation is somehow 'Chernobylish'. In your opinion, is it worth to sparge with 1 or 2 Liters of water into the bag or it's better to proceed directly with a couple of Liters into the kettle? Relatively to sugars gain, I mean.

Bottled: Strong Bitter 'Milord' - APA 'Pizbul Mate'

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 830 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixtlanas View Post
I've never done a mine-sparge, milling my grains fine give me a stable 90% of mash efficiency, but I'd like to a have a little more of final volume in fermenter, cause my evaporation is somehow 'Chernobylish'. In your opinion, is it worth to sparge with 1 or 2 Liters of water into the bag or it's better to proceed directly with a couple of Liters into the kettle? Relatively to sugars gain, I mean.
No matter how hard you squeeze the bag of grains you always leave a little sugar behind. Why not sparge with a little water and rinse out that extra sugar? There is little point in just throwing it out with the grains, why not let the yeast turn it into alcohol?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Robar
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixtlanas View Post
I've never done a mine-sparge, milling my grains fine give me a stable 90% of mash efficiency
I'd like to jump in and ask a question, sorry to the OP in advance.

As I'm seriously thinking of going eBIAB I'm obviously interested when you say you are reaching 90% efficiency with a fine grind. Do you end up with a lot of flour/mud escaping the bag and ending up in the bottom of you kettle?

I am going to build my system based on the upside down keggle and drain straight out the bottom (which is originally the top of the keg as its flipped upside down) and don't want a gallon of sludge in the primary. I'm interested in efficiency, but not at the cost of crap in my beer.

Any thoughts, hints or advise from anyone would be appreciated.

1st Primary:Cacade/Orange Pale
2nd Primary:Wild Hop Pale
secondary: Inspired Clone

Kegged: Edwort's House Pale, Honey Porter, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter

Old 10-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
Ixtlanas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Absolutely no flour outside the bag, or better to say the amount is the usual amount you have in a BIAB. First BIABs I did I got a stable 78% mash eff with a normal grinding. Then I tried to double grind and it was again 78%. In the last three BIABs I did a fine grind (I cannot tell you numbers 'cause I use a Corona mill) and everytime the efficiency @ preboil was 90%
I always keep the pH around 5.4-5.5

@RM-MN: yep you're right, there's no point to gain a couple of minutes

Bottled: Strong Bitter 'Milord' - APA 'Pizbul Mate'

Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Robar
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks Ixtlanas. I may try the fine grind once I get the setup done and have a few brews under my belt with it.

1st Primary:Cacade/Orange Pale
2nd Primary:Wild Hop Pale
secondary: Inspired Clone

Kegged: Edwort's House Pale, Honey Porter, BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter

Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
mizzourah2006
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you guys don't mash out what is your quart to pounds of grain ratio? Is it higher or do you just fill to 6.5 gallons after the mash?

Quick Reply