What software do you use for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
I'm looking for some software that will help me optimize my BIAB process. What software do you use and why do you like it?

Also, one with access to lots of different recipes would be great as I'm not into designing my own. I'd rather customize one...

Any suggestions or input?

I use BeerSmith. I like it because it's fairly easy to use and is pretty good for storing recipes. I also like the background info that's built into it for the various ingredients and styles. It does take a few brews, however, to get your equipment profile dialed in, but that's going to be true with any software you use.

As far as recipes, I've never used any of the stock recipes that come with it. I've either used ones I've found on this forum or elsewhere on the web, taken recipes from the book Brewing Classic Styles, or developed my own either from scratch (not that often) or tweaked existing recipes (more often).

Edit to add: BS has a fully functional trial period (can't remember if it's 14 or 21 days) so you can try it out and see if you like it.

My brewing software is Brewtarget, and when I need to, I also use simplebiabcalculator.com to help with calculating strike water volume and temp (I don't need it as often now as when I first started BIAB, once you get used to your setup you start knowing from memory and intuition what volumes and temps you need).

Another popular tool for BIAB is BIABacus from BIABrewer.info - that one is very good, but you need to input a lot of info to make it work accurately. I like the simple one better, personally.

For water chemistry, try Bru'n Water - you can find it from the Brew Science forum.

For recipes, HBT is a pretty rich resource. Brewtarget comes with some recipes, too.

Brewer's Friend in conjunction with BIABacus for the first few just to get my volumes dialed in. Found BIABacus to be unnecessary after that.

I like BF because of the simple user interface. If I can't pick it up and know how to use it within 2 minutes then it wasn't for me. That's why I don't use Beer Smith.

Also, BF is web based. All your recipes and brew sessions are logged there. No software to install as well, unless you want the app for your phone. Speaking of that, the app is really nice too.

I use Brewers Asssitant on my iPad and adjust the mash schedule to whatever I want it to be. during the brewing process i can add notes to each step and it works great.

I've been happy with the Biabacus. About 20 or so brews with it so far. Easy to use once you get used to it. Haven't tried anything else except a trial version of Beersmith. Don't remember much about it now though.

I used Beersmith for my first BIAB, and I'm going to try out BIABacus this weekend. I found it confusing at first, but I think I have it figured out now.

Latest posts

Back