Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > What am I missing with BIAB?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
jamorgan3777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What am I missing with BIAB?

When I started brewing about two years ago, I did a few extract batches and then went straight to BIAB and all grain. I never even considered a 2 or 3 vessle systems and have made many great brews (in my and my neighbors opinions). However, I am now looking to go from gas fired BIAB to electric BIAB and was wondering if I should consider going 3 vessel HERMS or RIMS. I LOVE the simplicity of BIAB but almost all of my parts can be used in a 3 vessel system. What am I missing out on? Why do so many people go 3 vessel?

Primary 4: Empty

Tap 1: Pilsner/Hallertauer SMaSH
Tap 2: Irish Red Ale
Tap 3: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg 4: Pilsner/Hallertauer SMaSH
Keg 5: Empty

Next Project: Portable CO2 Dispensing System

Next Brew: ???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Here is my two cents worth. I think that many people got into all grain brewing before there were accepted procedures such as batch sparging or no sparge methods. That is, they got their systems set up before BIAB brewing really became popular. I am not sure that there are that many people moving from BIAB to Three-Vessel brewing. I do know that there are some who are moving from Three-Vessel brewing to BIAB because of the simplicity of it all.

I have not done BIAB, but I am intrigued by the idea.

Mark

Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I went from traditional mash tun (cooler) AG and kettle on a propane burner to single vessel recirculating E-BIAB with a 15.5 gallon keggle and plate chiller.

Lovin it. My rig sits on the wheeled chassis from an old gas grill I once had. I installed a simple game hoist on the ceiling on the garage to lift and hold the grain bag. It takes up little space and I can easily wheel it around as needed for filling, cleaning, etc.. When I'm done cleaning it, I unplug the control box (built using one of PJ's schematics) from the spa panel and store it inside the house.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

It's tougher to do step mashes via BIAB, but I never do them, so I stick with the system that cost me nothing to build and costs nothing to keep doing.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm already at 10 gallon batches, and I see larger in my future. I batch sparge Dennybrew style, so cash layout was minimal.

If I was only doing 5 gallons at a time I would probably BIAB. How big of a grain bill can you do in a keggle with a 10 gallon batch?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
sfgoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpentGrains
I'm already at 10 gallon batches, and I see larger in my future. I batch sparge Dennybrew style, so cash layout was minimal.

If I was only doing 5 gallons at a time I would probably BIAB. How big of a grain bill can you do in a keggle with a 10 gallon batch?
I've done 30 lb grain bills in mine. Could probably do more, just haven't needed to yet.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

The main reason that I see for going from BIAB to a 3 vessel system is batch size. I have a hard enough time lifting the grain bag out with 5 gallon batches, never mind larger.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
The main reason that I see for going from BIAB to a 3 vessel system is batch size. I have a hard enough time lifting the grain bag out with 5 gallon batches, never mind larger.

Are you lifting the bag out by hand or with mechanical assistance?

I'm using one of these (minus the clothes hanger looking thing) which is working nicely - http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Lift-System-Gambrel/dp/B003RY9YIU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I could probably pull off a 10 gallon batch of a light/moderate gravity brew, but I don't really need that kind of volume at this time.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I am about to do my first biab tomorrow, ive been doing a more traditional ag setup.

For lifting the bag, i probably have overkilled it since i have an engine hoist in my garage lol

Old 08-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd

Are you lifting the bag out by hand or with mechanical assistance?

I'm using one of these (minus the clothes hanger looking thing) which is working nicely - http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Lift-System-Gambrel/dp/B003RY9YIU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I could probably pull off a 10 gallon batch of a light/moderate gravity brew, but I don't really need that kind of volume at this time.
I do it by hand. I'd rather invest in other equipment before spending on a hoist, never mind where I'd do it.

Quick Reply