Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > Sparging method for BIAB !

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Seb-Ass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sparging method for BIAB !

I'm going to make my first all grain batche soon. I have seen a lot of tutorial for BIAB brewing technic but all of them didin't sparge their wort or they sparge it in another container for 10 to 20 mins. But if I want to use the BIAB technic, it's because I live in a small appartment and I want to use the less equipement and space that I can. The idea that I have is to only take the bag in replacement of a false bottom or a lautering tun. My kettle have a spigot so I was considering the option of fly sparging through my bag to another food-grade plastic bucket. So is it a viable option ? Do I will lost efficiency ? Sorry if it sound idiot but I never sparge before !

Thank to all of you for your precious time to help me !

Last edited by Seb-Ass; 12-23-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

The idea of brew in a bag is to make it simpler to make beer. Sparging is for rinsing the sugars out of the mash but with brew in a bag you can squeeze the bag and get most of the sugars out that way so you can mash right in the same pot that you boil in and never have to use any other container until you transfer the wort to the fermenter. I have tried brew in a bag without sparging and got about 80% efficiency and then with sparging to find that I got about 80% efficiency. Why go to the extra work and time with the same results?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
Seb-Ass
Recipes 

thanks for the answer ! the reason why I wanted to do the ''extra work'' is because I was thinking that BIAB technic was way under sparging in term of efficiency ... but if the result is the same, thats a different game.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
smokewater
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will find that grain absorption when you mash in your brew pot will leave you with less volume for the boil when you pull the bag. I would do a batch sparge in the bucket with enough water to top off your boil kettle. Pull bag, squeeze, place in bucket, dump ~190F water on it, let sit 10-20 minutes and pour that back into your boil kettle. If you have some left over you can add that to the boil to reduce boil off volume.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 983 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The BIAB no sparge guys know about grain absorption and compensate with thinner mashes. If you really wanted to sparge, I'd put the bag in a cooler for the initial mash, then dunk sparge it in the boil kettle.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
plumbob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I put my grain bag in a strainer over another pot and pour 170F water over it. Then I take the same water and reuse it several times after reheating it.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbob View Post
I put my grain bag in a strainer over another pot and pour 170F water over it. Then I take the same water and reuse it several times after reheating it.
Interesting and different approach, I like the method, except for the added labor

I BIAB for simplicity, but appreciate the approach

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
ryan0914
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

when I do really big beers ill dunk the whole bag in another pot of hot water, and then pour it in and just boil off. This past weekend I made a 27lb dark strong and got 78% efficiency, which it about normal for me on normal size beers.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Seb-Ass
Recipes 

The reason of my interest of the BIAB technic is not about simplicity but because I absolutely want to lautering (filter) in the kettle that I brew for less manipulation. The idea of a false bottom directly in my mash kettle is great but not for beggining because of his high cost compare to grain bag. I don't want to do less steps (Mashing, lautering, recirculation, boil, cooling, fermentation) only replace the lautering tun or the false bottom by the grain bag. Is putting my bag in another kettle with 172 degree water on it for 15 mins can be compare to batch sparging ? And is someone have a secret to fly sparge while using a bag ?

Thank you guys again !

Last edited by Seb-Ass; 12-24-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
ryan0914
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ya I started BIAB for the same reason, simplicity and an easy way to get into all grain and sticked with it. You can't really tell a difference in the final product and it's just plain easy.

Quick Reply