Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > Rye me a river BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
eluterio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Rye me a river BIAB

I just have to share this cause Im bored at work. I recently was given a 55# bag of Rye, unopen. I had a Rye IPA awhile back ago and hated it. Tasted like crap so ive been turned off on rye ever since. Since acquiring this bag I thought I would give it a chance.

A few weeks ago I brewed 2 separate 5 gallons batches of american and german wheat beers. I used Wyeast 1010 and 3068, figured since I have these fermenting I might as well use the yeast cake. This will be my first time ever attempt to use a yeast cake. Since I have a full bag of rye to use I am doing one 10 gallon batch of 60% rye and 40% 2 row with Northern Brewer and Perle hop. Ill dump half on each of the yeast cake and see how it turns out.

Now why im I putting this on the BIAB forum well heres the deal.

I have done several wheats on my current AG set up and when using wheat it takes me for ever to fly sparge which is fine. After research Rye I found out that this stuff becomes sticky as hell. No so sure I would be able to get this big a of a grain bill and use 1# of rye through my gravity feed system. Let face it im scared as hell im going to get a stuck sparge with my luck it will happen ill be out there working away for 14 hours and divorced afterwords.

I decided to do a BIAB with the rye. Since I have 2 converted kegs to MLT and BK Im going to use both to mash 1/2 in each and put them together in the end. Ill be taking some photos of my process and putting on here just to share my experience with everyone here.

I plan on kegging both in 14 days and have them ready for christmas so if I dont like it I can force it down other gullets during the holidays.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
HowardMBeers
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This sounds awesome. Is it malted Rye? Is that such a thing? I've heard of people doing BIAB to do high % wheat beers (100% even), but this is something new!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Got a recipe? I've made a rye beer with malted rye but I have access to quite a bit of unmalted rye and wheat and while I know I can use unmalted wheat with some 2 row and get full conversion I haven't tried with unmalted rye.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
HowardMBeers
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Now I can't get the idea of a 100% rye wine (ala wheat wine) out of my head. Has this been tried before? Google....

Old 11-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
HowardMBeers
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

James Spencer. Thank you again, Mr. Spencer!

http://beerandwinejournal.com/100-ry...-ale-take-two/

Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
HowardMBeers
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

This from the comments of the 100% Rye brewing write up:

Quote:
Bryan Boyd says:
September 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Rye Is full of beta-glucans, that is what makes it so slimy, and can transfer through the brewing process into the finished beer. You should try to do a step mash, starting with a long-ish Beta-glucan rest at 120-130 for about 20-30min, then do an infusion step to get up to mashing temps. Also if you are milling, double mill your rye to get it good and broken up for maximum wetting during the mash.
Looks like you might want to do this rest thingy if you don't want to have 10 gal of goat snot.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
eluterio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardMBeers View Post
This sounds awesome. Is it malted Rye? Is that such a thing? I've heard of people doing BIAB to do high % wheat beers (100% even), but this is something new!
I believe its malted rye and looking forward for the big sticky mess. Thats why im using paint strainers bags that I can toss. 55% rye is what im using but I did think of using 60% or even higher but decided this is big enough. Ill be taking pictures!

Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
eluterio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Got a recipe? I've made a rye beer with malted rye but I have access to quite a bit of unmalted rye and wheat and while I know I can use unmalted wheat with some 2 row and get full conversion I haven't tried with unmalted rye.
45% 2 row
55% rye

23 lbs total

Boil for 60 hops
Northern Brewer 60 mins
pearl at 15 mins

pitch onto wyeast 3068 and 1010.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
eluterio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardMBeers View Post
This from the comments of the 100% Rye brewing write up:

Looks like you might want to do this rest thingy if you don't want to have 10 gal of goat snot.
I not sure what im going to do all yet. Ive been told mash at 150 you'll be just fine since Im using 2row. Ive seen step mash from 90 for 20min rise temp to 120 then to your final 150.

I think I plan on doing a rest at 120 and since im doing it via bag I can turn the temp up to 150 without burning the bag cause I can PULL IT OUT A BIT!!!

Ill probably be drunk when I start so who knows whats going to happen. Looking forward to it!!

Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
eluterio
Recipes 

I'll be posting my experience soon, just havent had time soo much clean up and other things. Lets say it was an adventure and my first 10 gallon batch of Homebrew!

Quick Reply