Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > Pot size for 10+gal batches of BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
musicawal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pot size for 10+gal batches of BIAB

Ok so I brew on the regular with my brew partner 10gal all grain batches. I'm looking to put together a BIAB setup at my house for those weeks when our schedules dont match up so I can still brew. So my question is what size pot are you guys using that are doing 10gal batches including those with larger grain bills. Some of the brews we make have 40lb grain bills and I would like to be able to recreate these. I've been looking at the bayou classic 82qt w/steamer basket but was also looking at the larger 102qt. I'm mostly looking to hear from guys that are currently doing these kind of batches but all info and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
pvtschultz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Wow. I haven't done a 10 gallon BIAB batch (yet), but I've done enough 5 gallon batches to have a pretty good feel. I used to brew in a 32 qt (8 gallon) pot and that was just big enough to do a 5 gallon 1.050 OG, full volume Aussie mash, with 1 gallon of boil down. Larger grain bills required me to top off after the boil. You could get away with a smaller BK if you do the dunk sparge method though.

2014 Gallons Brewed: 19
Gallons Brewed '11-'13: 250

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pvt...inally-298407/

Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Mindhop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brew 10-12 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle. I would go with a 20 gallon kettle. When I do a 12 gallon batch my kettle is full. Hope this helps

Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

depends on how you're set up. Are you mashing in the full volume for the brew? Ie. you're putting all of the mash, sparge, and boiloff volume in one pot, heating to mash temp, adding grain, mashing, then pulling the bag out and boiling?

If you're doing this, I'd go big, like 20g. at least.

If you're mashing in one pot and dunk-sparging in another, you can go smaller, maybe 15g.

I mash in a cooler lined with voile, pull it out and dunk sparge in the BK (filled with sparge volume heated to sparge temp), then add first runnings to BK and boil. For 5g. I can do this in a 30qt. pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
musicawal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys, I would like to mash in the full volume as I feel this is truly taking advantage of the BIAB method. So I guess it sounds like 20g or 25g is the way to go, maybe the 25g being the better choice just to be safe.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
keesh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you planning on making a pulley system? With that much grain you obviously can't lift it by hand, even with 2 people it would be dangerous.

Primary - 1 Gal JAOM, Belgian IPA, Pumpkin ale
Secondary - 5-way split Breakfast Imperial Stout, 2 Gal Traditional mead
Bottled - Kolsch, Pliny the Younger clone, Centennial Blonde, Alpine's Nelson clone, Apfelwein, QuicknDirty Cider
On deck - EdWort's Haus Pale

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
musicawal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even though I'm incredibly strong lol... yes I will be

Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I brew 10 gallon batches on my own all the time. Things are a bit heavy, but I am a stronger than average guy.

I use have a 12.5 and a 20 gallon pot. Together it works great. I have a 52 quart mash tun that gets me up to 1.075 or so brews and another 48 quart mash tun so I can split up if I brew an higher gravity brews. But seriously, I don't need 10 gallons of beer stronger that 1.075. I keep 100-150 pounds of grain on hand, I have my own mill, 20 pounds of hops and yeast starters are always going...even before I know what I am making. When I decide to brew...I just do it!

I highly reccomend the 15 gallon glass demijons for fermenters. It's so handy.

I didn't want to be dependant on any 1 person or even my LHBS for my brewing, so I went on my own. It's great.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
musicawal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im just looking to simplify a brew day by myself. That's why I'm looking for a single vessel. From what I've been reading I'll most likely be using a pulley to suspend and then squeeze the bag while it's in the steamer basket over the kettle. No pumps will be used as it seems guys who just drain and then dump the water back over the grains while mashing seem to have pretty consistent numbers.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Are you planning to brew high gravity beers? If yes, you may want to consider getting a 30 gallon kettle if you can.

Quick Reply