Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > My first BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
amandley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

After almost 3 wks in the primary, I am getting a reading of 1.024. according to brewers friend I should have hit 1.014. I'm thinking that maybe it was too cold? According to the what I have read it should have been fine down to 57* for nottingham. I kept mine close to 60 the whole time. sometimes a degree lower sometime a degree or 2 higher. Any ideas on how to fix this? am I stalled?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandley View Post
After almost 3 wks in the primary, I am getting a reading of 1.024. according to brewers friend I should have hit 1.014. I'm thinking that maybe it was too cold? According to the what I have read it should have been fine down to 57* for nottingham. I kept mine close to 60 the whole time. sometimes a degree lower sometime a degree or 2 higher. Any ideas on how to fix this? am I stalled?
Your starting mash temp was 160, was that taken after adding and stirring the grain? If not, what was the actual starting mash temp after adding grain and stirring? If it was above 156, you may be nearing final gravity. Higher mash temps create dextrins, which are sugars but not fermentable. Big malty beers tend to have more dextrinous wort, but your OG isn't high enough that I'd think you'd want it to be there. Taste the sample. Is it sweet? If so, you can add more yeast, try rousing the fermenter and raising temperature, or worst-case, add some amylase enzyme (start with just a pinch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
amandley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Your starting mash temp was 160, was that taken after adding and stirring the grain? If not, what was the actual starting mash temp after adding grain and stirring? If it was above 156, you may be nearing final gravity. Higher mash temps create dextrins, which are sugars but not fermentable. Big malty beers tend to have more dextrinous wort, but your OG isn't high enough that I'd think you'd want it to be there. Taste the sample. Is it sweet? If so, you can add more yeast, try rousing the fermenter and raising temperature, or worst-case, add some amylase enzyme (start with just a pinch).
It was sitting at 160* with grain added when started. dropped to 158* by the end of 90 min. I did not know about dextrins. damn. I tasted the sample. although it tasted pretty good it was a bit sweet.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
It was sitting at 160* with grain added when started. dropped to 158* by the end of 90 min. I did not know about dextrins. damn. I tasted the sample. although it tasted pretty good it was a bit sweet.
If it's still sweet, you can try rousing the yeast and raising the temp a little, then give it a week. You might also consider rehydrating some US-05 or Nottingham and throwing it in there, then waiting a week. If the gravity is still the same, you're going to have to decide if you can drink the beer as-is or if you need to add amylase enzyme. If you choose the latter, again, add it a pinch at a time, then wait 3-5 days, take gravity. If you add too much you'll get a hot, dry, alcoholic mess.

Also, if you happen to accidentally start the mash too high in the future, just keep stirring until you get it down to your desired temps (usually in the 153-154 range for medium body, higher for more body, lower for less body). Even if it takes you a long time to get it down, it's fine. I mash up to 8 hours at times, and there are plenty of beta amylase enzymes remaining to chop up long-chains, even after significant time has passed.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
amandley
Recipes 

Thanks. I appreciate the info. One more Q. If I decide to drink it as is, can I still just add priming sugar and keg or bottle it? Or do I need to force Carb?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the info. One more Q. If I decide to drink it as is, can I still just add priming sugar and keg or bottle it? Or do I need to force Carb?
That's a tough one. I'd say only do that if you've added fresh yeast and let it finish. You want to make sure there aren't any sugars that yeast will eat, even a slight amount, or you'll be overcarbed/have chance of bottle bombs.

Quote:

Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
amandley
Recipes 

That's kinda what I was thinking. Any readings or tests I can do to determine that?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
That's kinda what I was thinking. Any readings or tests I can do to determine that?
Like I said, add yeast and see if it drops any gravity points. You can do a fast ferment test, too, by pulling some wort out into a small container and pitching double or more yeast than would be needed for that volume (any yeast, even bread yeast), then give it a few days, swirling it every time you walk by, in a warm environment. Check to see if the gravity drops/krausen forms, etc. That will tell you how low your large volume *should* get to.

Quote:

Quick Reply