New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > My first BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
amandley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first BIAB

Yesterday I did my first BIAB, although I definitely had some issues, I am HOOKED.
I did full volume no sparge. ( I think)
Recipe:
7 lb 2 row
2 lb munich(light) 10L
1.75lb crystal 40L
.75 lb Carapils
.5 lb euro carvienne
1.25 oz cascade @60
1 oz cascade @ 10
1.75 oz cascade @0

My wife was cool enough to stitch me together a bag for my 8 gal brew kettle
The recipe called for 7.5 gallons starting but it was a bit too close for comfort so before adding the grain I removed .5 gal,
So, starting with 7 gallons I brought it up to 160 and added my grain.
Killed the heat and wrapped up the kettle.
I stirred the grain bed every 20-30 min, steeping for a total of 90 min
The mash out is where I think I may have f'd up slightly
I tried heating up to 170 but overshot due to the thermometer being in a cold pocket or something, after stirring I realized I was actually at 179.
I immediately killed the heat and took off the lid.
It sat for 10 minutes, then I removed the grain bag, allowing to drip dry and squeezing.
Moved the grain bag over to a bucket and allowed it to drain more for about 15 minutes.
Dumped the drained liquid back into the kettle.
I also screwed up slightly because I neglected to devise a way of measuring exactly how much liquid I now had, pre-boil.
I took a hydrometer reading anyways, 1.034 ( which scared the crap outta me until I realized I needed to adjust for temp)
adjusted I think it is about 1.055
near as I can tell I ended up with about 6 gallons preboil.
Brought the kettle up to boil and proceeded as normal.
If my guestimate was right I got about 77% efficiency, which I am stoked about.
After the boil I took another reading, OG-1.060
It took quite a bit more effort but was WAY worth it. I can't wait to taste it, even if I did extract some tannins.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Garrett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Sounds good. I think you'll be fine. Also do not worry about tannins from squeezing the bag, its a myth.

Ambitious Ales

My BIAB Setup

454k30 Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
amandley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Also do not worry about tannins from squeezing the bag, its a myth.
Thats what I have been reading, so a squeezing I went.
I was more worried about my Mash out temp being too high and extracting tannins there.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 639 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 187

With BIAB you really don't need the mashout and if your grains are milled fine enough you don't need to stir. In fact, with a finely milled grain your conversion would likely be done in 30 minutes. Bring your water to strike temp, kill the heat, drop in the grain bag, and stir in your grains, really mixing then up to be sure you don't get dough balls. Put the lid on the pot, wrap it in insulation of some type. I do mine indoors and just wrap it in a bath towel. At the 30 minute mark, lift the lid and look at the wort. If it is really cloudy, you need more time but wort that is nearly clear means that the starches have been converted to sugar. If you have some iodine, do the test for starches.

Pull the bag out and let it drain a bit, squeeze out all the wort you can and check your quantity. If you are close to the expected pre-boil amount, turn the heat on and dump the grains while you are waiting for the boil. You'll have the wort up to boil before you could have done a mashout. Notice that at no time did I have grains in the pot when the temperature went over 165 so there will be no tannin extraction.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
amandley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
With BIAB you really don't need the mashout and if your grains are milled fine enough you don't need to stir. In fact, with a finely milled grain your conversion would likely be done in 30 minutes. Bring your water to strike temp, kill the heat, drop in the grain bag, and stir in your grains, really mixing then up to be sure you don't get dough balls. Put the lid on the pot, wrap it in insulation of some type. I do mine indoors and just wrap it in a bath towel. At the 30 minute mark, lift the lid and look at the wort. If it is really cloudy, you need more time but wort that is nearly clear means that the starches have been converted to sugar. If you have some iodine, do the test for starches.

Pull the bag out and let it drain a bit, squeeze out all the wort you can and check your quantity. If you are close to the expected pre-boil amount, turn the heat on and dump the grains while you are waiting for the boil. You'll have the wort up to boil before you could have done a mashout. Notice that at no time did I have grains in the pot when the temperature went over 165 so there will be no tannin extraction.
Well Dammit, your way seems far less complicated. I'll be making those changes on my next brew day.

The stick on temp gauge on my fermenter has been reading 60-62 on this batch the whole time.
For this yeast (nottingham) that is on the lower end of ideal, I believe. Just wondering if I should do something to gain some heat or not.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 641

Looks like a tasty recipe with 2# of Munich and Cascade is one of my favorites. I'm just getting into AG after doing mostly PM batches, and am intrigued with BIAB.

Quote:
...because I neglected to devise a way of measuring exactly how much liquid I now had, pre-boil.
Here's a trick:
I don't have a sight glass and don't need one either. Another thing to clean and break.

I use a measuring tape (ruler will work too), and measure the distance between liquid level and top of kettle. For my 8 gallon kettle, I know that each 1.5" represents 1 gallon, and my 5 gallon mark is 5" from the top; 6 gallons is 3.5" and 7 gallons is 2" from top. So for 6 and 1/3 gallon, a typical boil volume, I need to be 3.0" from the top.

Print out a little table if you need to, or stick it in the back of your brew log.
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Raging Bitch Clone | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Great Lakes Christmas Ale | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
ong
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Same basic idea -- I cut notches in my mash paddle at each gallon mark, so I can just stand the paddle on the bottom and measure volume.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
bmunos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here is a stupidly easy way to measure Volume. The wooden spoon was at walmart for 50 cents. I used my fiancés wood burner to make notches. Works great.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post

Not sure bout you time at 30 min. Just for the hell of it I've been taking Brix readings each time I stir (every 15 min). I mash in a colman cooler. I can see the brix reading come up every time I sample. I then press the hell out of the bag and have measured the squeeze Brix and it's alway at least the same as the 60 min sample, sometime higher. so I don't see how you get full conversion in 30 minutes. I double mill my grain at the LHBS and use a paint strainer bag.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Cold Crashing: Pale Ale
Conditioning: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #10
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmunos View Post
Here is a stupidly easy way to measure Volume. The wooden spoon was at walmart for 50 cents. I used my fiancés wood burner to make notches. Works great.

I use a short piece of 1/2" PVC pipe marked in 1/4 gallon divisions.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Cold Crashing: Pale Ale
Conditioning: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: NorthernBrownAle (GF)
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: KonaCoffeeDryStout
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Quick Reply