Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > My first all-grain, BIAB, and no-chill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
tjash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been trying to figure out how to incorporate my remote bbq thermometer into my brew day, but usually by the time I start pondering it, I'm a few homebrews in and the answer eludes me! Problem-solved! Simple, graceful solution to the problem - thanks for posting it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any updates? Have you kegged/tried this yet? I'm looking to try my second no chill BIAB with this recipe this weekend.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbehr View Post
Any updates? Have you kegged/tried this yet? I'm looking to try my second no chill BIAB with this recipe this weekend.
Thank you for asking. This coming Monday night (Oct 15) will be the 21st day in the primary. After seeing your message, I decided to go get my 2nd taste/test sample. The temp has been between 64-66*F. The gravity is 1.020. The spice has mellowed since my previous taste test. I did pitch with 2 pks of Safale US-05.

I will need to leave it in the primary an additional week: the recipe calls for 21 days in primary and 3 days in secondary. I will be flying out for a week-long convention on the 15th. I'll be off the following Monday, the day after I return, so I'll move it to secondary then.

It's gotten a little chilly here, so I may need to round up a little space heater and ramp the temp up to 68 for the duration. My previous little space heater lasted a few months. Now, the element will come on, but the fan won't.

Edit: I don't yet have a keg setup. I will be bottling this. I may rack it into 1 or 2 of the Tap-A-Draft bottles. I'd like to have some bottles to share with others. I requested and was given that setup for Christmas last year, but haven't yet used it.

We are moving to a new (for us) house in a few weeks. As soon as we're moved, I'd like to brew another batch of this to have around for Christmas.

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by kzimmer0817; 10-12-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Additional information added

Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #14
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
I will need to leave it in the primary an additional week: the recipe calls for 21 days in primary and 3 days in secondary. I will be flying out for a week-long convention on the 15th. I'll be off the following Monday, the day after I return, so I'll move it to secondary then.
This is really vain to quote myself, but . . . as I said in the previous message, I transferred this to secondary on Monday, 4 days ago. I ended up with appr 4.5 gallons in the secondary. Today, I bottled. My F.G. is still 1.020. According to an online calculator, to have 2.5 volumes of CO2 in 4.5 gallons, I would need 3.9 oz (by weight) of corn sugar, so that's what I did.

I filled one of the bottles for my Tap-A-Draft and filled 36 standard bottles. I capped the final 1/2 bottle and put it into the fridge to taste cold.

We'll see how this goes.
Thanks,
Keith

Quick Reply