Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > General BIAB Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Iceman6409
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default General BIAB Question

Hi all. I am about to embark into BIAB from all grain. My question is this. I have been seeing back and forth conversations about how much grain to use. Some people say to use the same amount as a regular recipe. Some say to add 10-15% of each grain. What are your thoughts and what has worked for you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
triskelion
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Never used a mash tun before but my for my first BIAB batch I got 70% efficiency, hope this helps. I've heard that you can get over 90% with a lot of sparging and squeezing the bag. Next time i'll take a hydrometer reading after mashing and squeeze the bag until I get up to the pre boil gravity I want, within reason of course.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
triskelion
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

BTW the bag will weigh a frigging tonne when it soaks up the water! Just thought I'd mention this as as I didn't think it would be as bad

Old 08-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Iceman6409
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

More interested in the grain bill. Just as a quick example let's say my grain bill is only one grain and it is 10lbs of that grain in a normal all grain recipe. If I switch to BIAB would I add 15% of that grain to the grain bill?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If anything I need to reduce my grain bill from a lot of recipes. My software is set to 80% efficiency and I often overshoot that. My last beer which was a session saison I got 87%. This is with a BIAB sparge.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal), Schepen
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk, Dog Days Saison
Up coming beers:

Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
rjthomas21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've gotten between 70% and 85% efficiency with my BIAB set up. I mashout at 170 for a few minutes, squeeze the hell out of the bag, and finish it off with a solid spin over the kettle to get the last few drops out (this gets me up in the 80s usually). So I don't ever tweak the grain bills to adjust for losses in efficiencies. If I do end up short of the 75% I am shooting for I will adjust with a bit stronger boil.

But no, I would stick with the original grain bill until you figure out your system's efficiency.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 500 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Since we have no idea what type of crush you have, or many other factors, there really is not a simple answer here. Adding an additional 10 % grain is not a terrible idea until you get a handle on your eeficiency, you may just overshoot your gravity and get a stronger beer, or you can temper down with a touch of water.

If your preboil gravity is low, you can just extend the boil. Kind of a crap shoot...if you like stronger beer, sure go ahead and add a touch more grain....cheers!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 294

I get about 80% eff on my 2 gallon mashes. I'd say stick to the recipe and see what your brewing will give you. Then you can make adjustments as needed. Plug in your recipe to say BeerSmith and I think the default eff is 75%. If you come out low add grain. if you come out high increase the default and use less. But you need to do a few brews untill you get an average.

Use this calculator to see what you get. http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i don't think adding extra grain is a bad idea either. but just adding grain doesn't fix your efficiency. i found that i worked on my process, managed my temps and volumes better. and with each BIAB i do, my efficiency goes up by 1-2%. now I'm hitting 70% or better every time. now I'm going to do a double crush on my grains and see how well that does.

I'm using BeerSmith and have my efficiency set at 70% and i hit my numbers on the head the last 3 brews.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
vNmd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I buy kits fror my BIAB and have always hit the gravity of the kit if not getting a few points higher. Like others say it comes down to your efficiency in your process. I wouldn't change a thing. Try one exactly like a traditional AG and see what your efficiency is. There are loads of calculators online or beersmith is an excellent resource. Then you can adjust future recipes. I think BIAB is a great way to go! Good luck.

Quick Reply