Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > First BIAB/No Chill Brew This Weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
jgarretson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default First BIAB/No Chill Brew This Weekend

I'm the epitome of a lazy brewer. After sifting through countless threads on here for BIAB and no-chill brewing, I pieced together a plan to brew 3 gallon BIAB batches on my stovetop, no-chill overnight in my basement and pitch the next day. With a 3 year old and a 4 year old, taking 6-7 hours on a weekend day to brew isn't going to happen.

This past Saturday was my first brewday with this lazy man method. I put together a saison recipe, got my ingredients and equipment all put together and gave it a shot.

My recipe is
6# Belgian Pilsner
1.25# flaked maize
4oz white wheat
8oz Vienna
6oz Caramunich I

.1oz Magnum 60min
.2 Citra 15 min
.5oz Amarillo 5min

.25oz Amarillo dry hop

Belle Saison Yeast

Mash at 152

I had my grains double crushed at my LBHS, many thanks to the folks here. My target pre-boil gravity was 1.038, hit 1.042. I boiled for 90 minutes and got just about 3.25 gallons of wort out of it. I let the wort sit in my kettle for about 2 hours with the lid on tight and then transfered to my fermenter and closed it up to sit overnight to chill.

I checked OG and temp the next morning and was at 1.052 and 72 degrees. Pitched my yeast and tucked it away in a dark corner. My basement is a steady 68-70 degrees right now so I'll leave it down there while I get my ferm chamber setup. I tasted a sample and it was sweet nectar. I was amazed at how much more flavorful this was compared to the extract batches I've done. I'm hopeful the final product will turn out well.

Overall, it was the least stressful brew "day" I've had yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Magic8Ball
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Interesting brew day. Double mill could be the reason for the extract efficiency being so high. What's your fermenter made of? Trying to find the right fermentor for no chill. Any idea on wort temp when you racked to fermentor? I like less stress, thanks for posting.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
jgarretson
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I just use a standard ale pail for fermenting. I'm at altitude and I boiled at 200 degrees. I didn't measure the temp when I transferred but I'm guessing it was around 170-180 degrees. It was still very hot. I was worried about the bucket deforming but from what I've read they are still stable at boiling temps since they're made of HDPE, just get a little soft.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Very cool. I remember reading a bunch about no-chill brewing a while back, but had mostly forgotten about it. Although, I've also read a lot about hop-stands at mid-level temps (below 180°F, but well above yeast pitching temps) and that has helped me relax a bit about chilling down to pitching temps.

When I first started brewing, the chilling phase was always the most stressful. I'd worry that I didn't have enough ice. I'd run to the corner store and spend as much on ice as I spent on yeast. What's up with that? These days, I don't sweat it. I put the kettle in the sink with a cold water bath and don't even add ice. By the 3rd time refilling the sink with water fresh from the tap, I let it just sit there until it is ready to be transferred.

It isn't a strict no-chill method. It is more of a 'take-a-chill-pill' method.

I was going to comment that your fermenting temp seemed a bit high, but then I realized you are doing a saison. Duh. It'll be fine, and may even do better if you move it to a warmer spot.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 10-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
jgarretson
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I too have hated the chilling portion. And I don't want another piece of equipment like a plate or immersion chiller to clean either. Like I said in my original post, I'm lazy. I've got an 8 gallon pot and it won't fit in my sink so the other option is to lug it upstairs to the bathtub. No thanks.

I think this first batch will be good but I'm expecting the hop bitterness to be off since I didn't adjust for the no-chill. I'll brew the same recipe again with some mods after I taste this one. I'm trying to minimize the variables.

I moved the beer from my basement to my term chamber which I finally cleared it and plugged in. I moved a year ago and haven't gotten around to setting it up. It's fermenting at about 75* and I'll let it raise a bit closer to 80* in the next few days. I took a hydro sample yesterday, it's down to 1.020 and it tasted awesome. I'm thinking this will be my best batch to date.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Silly no chill question since I am looking into it as a way to be able to brew in my apartment. How do you adjust your hops additions. I have read move everything back( towards 0 minute) by 20 minutes, so what about your sub 20 minute additions?

Primary: House Bitter
Bottled: Can't keep track
Up coming beers:

Old 10-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
jgarretson
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

There's an image posted in post #1317 in the "Exploring no-chill brewing" thread.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2451 Times on 1727 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

BIAB AND no chill??

You can't do that!

Homer's Brew Log

Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #9
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarretson View Post
d then transferred to my fermenter and closed it up to sit overnight to chill.
Do you get a significant vacuum on the fermenter when the wort cools? Is the lid difficult to remove?

Usually no-chill involves a collapsible water carrier to keep out air while the water contracts. I like your way.

Link to hops addition chart

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
jgarretson
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I didn't notice any issues with the bucket or getting the lid off. There was no noticeable deforming of the bucket either. I had my airlock closed up with my blow off tube inserted and about eight layers of Saran Wrap covering the end.

I've heard about the caving in of the jerry cans many use for no chill. I'm wondering if because I left it in my kettle for a couple hours and then transferred if that's the reason for no major vacuum issues? As I mentioned above, I'm guessing I transferred the wort in the 170-180 temp range. It was definitely hotter than my mash temp. I'm sure there's a formula to calculate but I really don't care that much.

Quick Reply