Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > First AG (BIAB) With some errors? Am I still Ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
dstranger99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default First AG (BIAB) With some errors? Am I still Ok?

So guys, I did an Oatmeal Cookie brown ale today. A BIAB AG kit from NB.

Everything seemed ok for the most part, but here's a few things that went wrong.

1. My BK wasn't big enough, the kit called for 5.5 gallons, I could only get 4 in, so I got a smaller kettle and did the other 1.5 in there with the leftover grains that wouldn't fit in the other. I did the mash in both kettles @ 152 degrees for 75 minutes. The temp stayed pretty stable in both vessels.

2. The mash out was optional, but the directions said to bring the heat up slowly to 168-170 and do a 10 minute rest. I did the opposite and brought the heat up faster then did the 10 minute rest. Rested at 162 for 10 minutes. (How big of a goof was this ?) ..

Everything else went ok, except it was supposed to net only 3 gallons, and I got 3.5.. OG should have been 1.066, I hit 1.052.....

So, any thoughts on this for a first AG ?.......

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Sounds like you lost 2 gallons to the grains during the mash. What size brew was this to be? A 3 gallon kit? What was your total grain bill? The 1052 was your pre boil? That should be ok if the post boil was to be 1.066. I think we need more info. I do smaller 2 gallon batches and loose only about .4 gallons to say 7 lbs of grain. Did you squeeze the "hell" out of your grain bags?

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
dstranger99
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
Sounds like you lost 2 gallons to the grains during the mash. What size brew was this to be? A 3 gallon kit? What was your total grain bill? The 1052 was your pre boil? That should be ok if the post boil was to be 1.066. I think we need more info. I do smaller 2 gallon batches and loose only about .4 gallons to say 7 lbs of grain. Did you squeeze the "hell" out of your grain bags?
Heres the kit, Please take a look: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/o...grain-kit.html

Should have been just 3, I ended with 3.5 gallons.

The 1.052 was the OG before pitching the yeast.

Didn't squeeze the bags, but I do poke them with my wooden spoon while I'm holding them to drain, just to make sure I get what good wort I can.

I love Yooper........

Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
bmunos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OK a couple of things. First - if you got 3.5 gallons and your OG was low it because you have more wort than expected for the grain. Not a big deal. Next time just keep boiling until you hit 3 gallons. I use my boil temp to help me hit my expected volumes. If i have more wort i have a hotter boil. If i have less wort I have a more mild boil. Not sure if others do this but I have great success. The other thing is you will want to find a way to collect ALL of the runnings from your bag. Simply holding it up by hand will not get you all of that sweet goodness that is left in the bag. I have a stainless BBQ grilling bucket that I use to hold my bag above the pot for 15 minutes while the wort drips down. Also step 2 if fine. I dont even do that step and I hit my projected pre boil og and post 95% of the time without an issue. I know most people here do that step but I like my results and I never raise the temp.

Bottom line. You made beer. You sacrificed a little alcohol for a larger qty but it will still turn our great! Congrats on the brew day.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
dstranger99
Recipes 

^

So, is it still ok to poke the bag a little with your spoon in order to get more of that wort? Not squeezing like the toilet paper man from the old 1970's Charmin commercials!! But just poking a little ???

I love Yooper........

Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
bmunos
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Absolutely. And from what I understand there are a lot of people on here who squeeze the bag. I dont i just let it drip until there isnt anything left.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #7
Tantalus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Squeeze that bag. Squeeze it.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 744 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus View Post
Squeeze that bag. Squeeze it.
Yes squeeze that bag like it owes you .....wort.

You don't need the mashout step. I don't even know why it is in the instructions. When the mash is done, pull the bag out to drain and turn the heat on. Once the wort is a bit past 170, all conversion will stop which is what mashout is supposed to accomplish anyway. Now while that wort that has already drained out of the bag is heating, squeeze out all you can from that bag. There are fermentable sugars in there that you want in your beer, not in the garbage.

You need to know about how much liquid you boil off in an hour long boil. This lets you know how much your pre-boil volume should be. You can adjust the strength of the boil a bit to boil of more or less liquid or you can boil a bit longer if you still have too much wort at the end of the 60 minutes. If you didn't have enough when you check your pre-boil volume, you can pour a little more water into the bag of grains and squeeze that out too. That gives you more wort but it also helps you recover more fermentable sugars.

Congratulations on your first AG. It will be great beer, I promise. (at least you will think its great since it's your beer and if you follow good fermentation practice like some temperature control and a long enough time it will be great). Here's to you and a good job done.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
dstranger99
Recipes 

^

What about all this stuff I hear about "tannins"....I thought squeezing the bag causes these things (Tannins).........I thought squeezing alone was a huge no no......That's not true ?

I love Yooper........

Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
twbalding
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've always heard the same about tannins and never squeeze...

Quick Reply