The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > Can't get a vigourous boil with my 2.5 gallons BIAB setup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Seb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can't get a vigourous boil with my 2.5 gallons BIAB setup

I brewed my second BIAB beer 2 days ago and I still can't get my wort to boil vigorously at all.

This, in addition to my efficiency problem, leads to my OG to be way below. I was supposed to hit 1.058 but I hit 1.050. (I took a reading after the mash and it was supposed to hit 1.046 while I hit 1.042, so I know my efficiency was low as well.)

Should I simply boil for 90 minutes instead of 60 or should I try to find a way to to try to heat it more?

I tried to boil my first batch with my induction cooker and my second on the stove but they both failed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I

Should I simply boil for 90 minutes instead of 60 or should I try to find a way to to try to heat it more?

I tried to boil my first batch with my induction cooker and my second on the stove but they both failed.
You need a rolling boil. It doesn't have to be so vigorous that the pot shakes, but it must be a rolling boil. That does several things- coagulates proteins after precipitation, gives proper hops utilization, promotes stabilization, provides maillard reactions, provides dissipation of SMM (DMS precursors), and so on.

A simmer, even for 90 minutes, isn't the same as a 60 minute boil.

You could try making a smaller batch, so that you can get a boil. Or buy a burner, or build a heatstick, so that you can get a rolling boil.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
hansen_sh
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A longer boil will get your OG up as long as the volume is still fine. Otherwise you may consider adding some extra light DME. With boil issues you volume is probably high as well so longer may fix it.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Seb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You need a rolling boil. It doesn't have to be so vigorous that the pot shakes, but it must be a rolling boil. That does several things- coagulates proteins after precipitation, gives proper hops utilization, promotes stabilization, provides maillard reactions, provides dissipation of SMM (DMS precursors), and so on.

A simmer, even for 90 minutes, isn't the same as a 60 minute boil.

You could try making a smaller batch, so that you can get a boil. Or buy a burner, or build a heatstick, so that you can get a rolling boil.
Damn, I guess I'd have to go with a heatstick. Not sure how the thing would work with a induction cooker running.

Would a single 110V stick boil the wort enough without the need to use the induction cooker or the stove?

Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would try the heat stick while on the stove. If you plug the heat stick into the same outlet as the induction cooker, you will pull way too much power and trip a fuse. The stove is on a separate 220v fuse so the heat stick will pull power from a separate breaker.

Can you have your pot straddle 2 burners on your stove? Sometimes that works if the pot is big enough. I am able to get 6 gallons to a boil ( not a hard boil, but still a decent boil) across 2 burners on my stove, but it is gas.

Also, I don't imagine a 1500 watt heat stick will boil the water all on its own, though I have never used a heat stick before.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Seb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
I would try the heat stick while on the stove. If you plug the heat stick into the same outlet as the induction cooker, you will pull way too much power and trip a fuse. The stove is on a separate 220v fuse so the heat stick will pull power from a separate breaker.

Can you have your pot straddle 2 burners on your stove? Sometimes that works if the pot is big enough. I am able to get 6 gallons to a boil ( not a hard boil, but still a decent boil) across 2 burners on my stove, but it is gas.

Also, I don't imagine a 1500 watt heat stick will boil the water all on its own, though I have never used a heat stick before.
We tried to put the pot on two burners, but the boil was even weaker. It worked best over only 1. I guess a heatstick inside the kettle while boiling over the stove would be the best thing.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

I've never done a BIAB but plan to in the future and from what I have read here is you need a pretty fine grain crush to get good efficiency for a BIAB. Maybe if you explain your whole process the experts here can help troubleshoot?

What kind of induction plate do you have? I'm getting a Burton 1800w induction plate and plan on brewing 2.5gl batches as well. I see that some insulate their kettles with that foil water heater insulation to help the boil.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Personally, I would go with a gas burner. If you're in an apartment, this may be a problem.

Keg #1: Empty
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen

Fermenter #1 Thor's Hammer

Superbowl champions.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Seb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
I've never done a BIAB but plan to in the future and from what I have read here is you need a pretty fine grain crush to get good efficiency for a BIAB. Maybe if you explain your whole process the experts here can help troubleshoot?

What kind of induction plate do you have? I'm getting a Burton 1800w induction plate and plan on brewing 2.5gl batches as well. I see that some insulate their kettles with that foil water heater insulation to help the boil.
Yeah next brew I'll ask my LHBS to crush the grain finer (is this even a word?). I got around 33% efficiency with my first brew but I didn't use a proper bag. Now with my 2nd I got 58% efficiency, which is a lot better but i was aiming for 65-70%.

I bought the Burton 1800w cooker as well. I like it, but it doesn't bring the wort to a rolling boil and it's kinda tricky to keep the temperature at the right mashing temp.

A burner for me is out of question.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
wheathead
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I use a 1500w heat stick with a ceramic stove burner and I get a rolling boil for my 5.5-gallon batches. Just make sure the heat stick element is completely immersed.

Quick Reply