Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB paint strainer bag burned on bottom of kettle.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #11
Tipharet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I have a glass circular pie pan, would that work? Im curious if the heat transfer to glass would still cause the bag to burn if resting on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't think I'd want to deal with glass at high temps. If you heat that glass up or cool it down too fast, it will break.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

This is what I use as a false bottom:

http://www.wayfair.com/Victorio-Stai...6-VRO1025.html

They sell them in the canning section at Walmart.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 85 Posts

I went to target and picked up a collapsible stainless steel steamer basket. Opens like petals on a flour. Open fully and put upside down at the bottom of the kettle. Did it to keep the bag of the dip tube, but it serves both purposes. Also, I rarely need to fire the kettle with the bag in it. If I do, its gentle and for a short period if time. How do you insulate the kettle during the mash?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1475

No need for any of those more expensive steamer racks,etc. Just get a cake cooling rack that fits inside the bottom of the BK/MLT & proceed. works great for me every time. They have some 1/2" or so legs on them to hold them a bit off the bottom. So hot water can circulate under the bag. Works great for mashing or steeping.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
iamperplexed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is everyone pulling their various racks, false bottoms out after the mash and before the boil?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts

I use a "collapsible vegetable steamer" (google those exact words to see what I'm taking about). I think it's stainless but I'm not sure. It came with 4 stubby legs and a shaft in the center with a ring on it. A couple minutes with a set of pliers and the legs and shaft were gone. I got it at a dollar store for pretty cheap (but it was more than a dollar - false advertising).

I remove the steamer after the mash and before the boil. The first time I tried to hook it out with the spoon but it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Now I tie the steamer onto the handle of my pot with a short length of dental floss. When the mash is over I take out the unburned mesh bag and let it drip out then I pull the steamer out using the floss and let it drip off before tossing it in the sink.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post
Is everyone pulling their various racks, false bottoms out after the mash and before the boil?
I remove mine after the mash and before the boil. I too use a collapsable steamer and remove it using tongs.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #19
iamperplexed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNewf View Post
I use a "collapsible vegetable steamer" (google those exact words to see what I'm taking about). I think it's stainless but I'm not sure. It came with 4 stubby legs and a shaft in the center with a ring on it. A couple minutes with a set of pliers and the legs and shaft were gone. I got it at a dollar store for pretty cheap (but it was more than a dollar - false advertising).

I remove the steamer after the mash and before the boil. The first time I tried to hook it out with the spoon but it was a bit of a pain in the ass. Now I tie the steamer onto the handle of my pot with a short length of dental floss. When the mash is over I take out the unburned mesh bag and let it drip out then I pull the steamer out using the floss and let it drip off before tossing it in the sink.
I have a steamer basket and actually, ours has a removable center shaft. I had it in my hand, almost used it yesterday for my first BIAB. I was concerned that it would snag the bag and that fishing it out would be an issue so I skipped it. Instead I did a lot of stirring and lifting the bag while raising the heat. My pot held temp much better than I had assumed so next time there will be less checking temp for sure.

Do you invert the basket to create a dome or place it in right side up on its legs?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
beersk
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post
Mine is hooked up with a metal chain that clips to one of the handles on the kettle. I pull it out after the mash. A stainless steel canning rack works pretty well.

Quick Reply