Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB/ mashtun Immersion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
ssdunn25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB/ mashtun Immersion

Ok so i have been looking into switching over to all grain from extract brewing for almost a year now and i think i have decided on a modified BIAB setup. My plan is to take my turkey fryer kettle and cut out a hole in the bottom and intall a false bottom to be my mashtun. I have a keggle that I will be using as my kettle, and made the opening large enough for my mashtun to fit through. The frame will simply be a weldless build extending a few feet above the keggle so I can install a pully to lift the mashtun from the kettle. I will use a pump to recirculate the wort into the mashtun to form a decent grain bed. My question here is has anyone seen a build like this before? I havent come accross anything like it other then the traditional BIAB setup. Anyways tell me what your thoughts are with this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
ssdunn25
Recipes 

I will post pictures once the build is finished, I am also considering adding another keggle to use as a HLT so I can sparge.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 314

It seems to me to be a lot of work for a kludge that may not work right anyway. Why not start by doing a batch or 2 BIAB right in the turkey fryer so you know what that is like. If you hate the process or outcome, then think about modifications.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
itzkramer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It seems like it might be easier to get a cooler for a mash tun, BIAB (no-sparge, full volume) mash in that, then drain that into the kettle. Basically a 2-vessel set up.

If you add a HLT you'll pretty much have a normal 3 vessel set up and it wouldn't be a BIAB anymore.

BEER:30 Brewing
Cleveland, OH

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 47

My thoughts? You're complicating a simple process.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
ssdunn25
Recipes 

OK that's pretty much what I needed to hear. I have enough equipment for a three vessel setup, I was just looking for something that would be smaller and still be able to produce a decent amount per batch since I live in an apartment and only have a patio space.

Quick Reply