Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB: Low efficiency?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by seckert View Post
I always get my grains from NB. I brewed yesterday and went to take an OG reading, trying to move fast since my daughter needed picked up from softball and i dropped my hydrometer and broke it. so i am hoping my beer will come out. I did taste the sample and it tasted about right so hopefully it is good! lol
And you didn't have 2 spare hydrometers on hand? This must be the first one you have broken.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #32
captainkirk83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had the same problem yesterday with my second Biab attempt. First one went great but the efficiency yesterday was only 55% and will likely end up at 4% abv than 5%. I'm blaming the crush from lhbs as it did not look as fine as my last one where I got over 75%. Thanks for all the answers and I'll ask for a finer crush next time.

Side question. Will low efficiency affect the final beer quality other than lower alc and ticking me off?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #33
bradfordmonk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think my low efficiency in my case was the crush of the grains from Midwest.

I did find a picture I took, I mixed in some of my grains I crushed and the ones I had from NB.

Most of the kernels(?) you can see are what MW sent me, as that's what the whole bag mostly looked like from them. The white/bright pieces is mostly from me and crushing my Abbey malt. SO it's tough to illustrate how crush looked because I mixed the grains in the bucket.

I was almost going to run them through my corona, and I should have gone with my instinct to do that

wp_20130217_004.jpg  

Old 02-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #34
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbaumannerb View Post
I got horrible conversion with BIAB at first too. Then I had the LHBS double mill my grain and I made sure I stirred the crap out of it at the end before pulling the bag out to drain. Once I did that I nailed my numbers.
Four pages and only this one mention of stirring.

Stirring is just as important as crush.

Four things affect BIAB: crush, stirring, temp, and squeeze.
I always had better efficiency with full volume mash (no sparge), and like others have said, the mash-out is un-necessary.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Fermenter #1 The Bollocks ESB
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
bradfordmonk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup, I do stirring and squeezing (my temps have been great with just putting blankets over, I usually shoot a degree or two higher so temps settle, it's cold out here in Philly and I do the brewing outside). I just think the original issue was with the grain crush, because that was the biggest concern, at least from me. I did it once before and did well with BIAB for first attempt, and this was the only thing that changed from 1st attempt to this attempt.

I will say Midwest has great customer service. I brought the issue up to them to just make them aware of the issue and they got back to me. Said they saw a thread on here (probably this one) and noticed the grains didn't looked crushed properly. They have one person milling the grains and over time it just gets out of whack if not payed closer attention to. So they were definitely understanding of the issue and went above and beyond to do what they could to rectify the issue.

So I give them huge props, and would definitely order from them again where (to be honest) was just thinking of avoiding. They want us to make great beer. And I see that while looking around about people who deal with them locally.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
midwestsupplies
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hello All,

We just wanted to take a moment to comment on the crush of the grains coming out of our grain room. It sounds like there were some problems recently with the grain mill. I have informed the guys in the mill room as well as the floor manager of the problem, and they have assured me they are looking into it today.

I apologize if we caused any problems, or made anyone's brew-day more difficult than it needed to be. If you want, you can always feel free to contact us via phone, email, or live chat. We are always more than willing to correct any error that was our fault.

Again, sorry for the trouble.

Cheers,

Nick @ Midwest.

Beer and Wine Making Supplies since 1995
www.midwestsupplies.com

People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
And you didn't have 2 spare hydrometers on hand? This must be the first one you have broken.
yes actually this was the first one i have broken...lol and of course my lhbs is closed today, so this next batch will be done blind as well...i trust my technique though so im sure it will come out!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #38
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I stirred and stirred, I didn't squeeze it super hard but I pressed on the sides of the bag.

I ordered grain for 2 different batches in that order, should I get these re-crushed?

img_0784.jpg  

Old 02-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #39
rmaloney86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would, someone might tell you differently but those are hard to distinguish from uncrushed grains

Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #40
bradfordmonk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
I stirred and stirred, I didn't squeeze it super hard but I pressed on the sides of the bag.

I ordered grain for 2 different batches in that order, should I get these re-crushed?
This is what I'm now using as a baseline...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...ting_the_Crush

That doesn't look like any of the good crushed grain, nor does it look like any of the bad examples. That's what mine looked like, and I'd say it doesn't look crushed pretty much at all.

Quick Reply