The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB, last time in the house for me

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default BIAB, last time in the house for me

Well maybe, need to get a bigger bag. I cannot express the importance of having a big enough bag to go around the entire top, if you are doing this by yourself. I got a pretty big bag today, but it was a lot longer than wide, so it didn't cover the whole top of my 30 quart pot. It was a pain in the rear to dump grain in and stir all by myself, lesson learned. I'm doing the initial 60 minute mash right now, so just venting at myself a little

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I just tie a knot in my bag all the way at the top like you would with steeping grains. As long as the grain has room to move around I figure it shouldn't be a problem. Hasn't been for me yet.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I guess i'll see tomorrow how it goes, and hope that it starts bubbling away. I really need a wort chiller.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
deepcdan99
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I use paint stariner bags at home depot, 2 for 7 bucks. Reusable, Easy to clean and fit my pot perfectly. Have a bungie cord near by if I think the grain might pull the bag in.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I found that same thing out last night - grain bag was too small. It fit great in my 5gal pot, but would not fit my 7gal. I cut the top of mine and used five binder clips to hold it on to the edges of the pot. I also found that 16lbs of grain is a pain in the shoulders to hold up and drip. Definitely not doing a shoulder day at the gym till the end of the week.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

As my pot increased, I ended up with my bag being about 2" too narrow to get around my pot, but everything seems to be working fine regardless. I clip off two sides then hold the bag open with one hand in a triangle shape and dump the grain bill with the other. Going somewhat slowly at first, I haven't really had a problem. Ultimately, the bag size is a matter of convenience at the pour in stage. I might go to pour my grains into a large bowl, then scooping them in with a pitcher I suppose if I felt the bill was too high to sneak in there. When I am finished loading the grains, I mix it up well and then clip off to one side. Too easy.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Make a sturdy bag to fit your pot out of polysester voile...with a little care it will last a loooong time

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I think I'm going to get a bigger bag, I believe the one I bought was 19 x 24. I'll get a 24 x 24 one next time. But there will be NO next time IN my house :-) I spilled some of the wort on the stove, the stove was so hot, from the burner being on, that it seems impossible to get off, wife isn't too happy about that. Also my 30 quart pot is just too big/tall, having a microwave above my stove.

Next time i'll do this on a turkey burner in my garage. Airlock isn't bubbling yet, hopefully later today it will start. Wort was about 75 degress, but the yeast packet may still have been a hair cold when i put it in yesterday evening.

I sure did learn a lot yesterday though, good and bad

Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just checked and the airlock is bubbling now, and it's been less than 18 hours so that's good.

I'm also looking out for a used or on sale 10 gallon beverage cooler, to start doing mashes in the future.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
worxman02
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
I think I'm going to get a bigger bag, I believe the one I bought was 19 x 24. I'll get a 24 x 24 one next time. But there will be NO next time IN my house :-) I spilled some of the wort on the stove, the stove was so hot, from the burner being on, that it seems impossible to get off, wife isn't too happy about that. Also my 30 quart pot is just too big/tall, having a microwave above my stove.

Next time i'll do this on a turkey burner in my garage. Airlock isn't bubbling yet, hopefully later today it will start. Wort was about 75 degress, but the yeast packet may still have been a hair cold when i put it in yesterday evening.

I sure did learn a lot yesterday though, good and bad
Moving your brewing out side is a good idea if you want to stay married. I don't know what your stovetop is made out of but you can try using some Barkeeper's Friend on it or make a small batch of PBW and boil it and then dip a rag in the hot PBW solution and lay it on top of the mess you made and leave it there for a while. You can keep spooning hot PBW onto the rag if it starts cooling off. I had a starter boil over onto our new gas stove, luckily the wife wasn't home, so I took the burners off and soaked them in hot PBW for a while and the burnt sugars came right off after a couple hours of soaking.
Kegged: Scottish Pale Ale (Scottish 80/- with added Hop Tea.
Bottled:Pumpkin Ale & Mcquaker's Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Drinking: Above & HUB IPA & Dechutes Black Butte Porter

Quick Reply