Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB and decoction mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Kaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default BIAB and decoction mashing

I'm looking to brew a Czech Pilsner based on the "Polka Dot Pilsner" recipe in 'Radical Brewing'. I usually do BIAB full volume mashes. This recipe calls for a decoction mash using 1/3 of the of mash volume. My question centers on the volumes. Since I will be mashing with around 8.5 gallons, should I try to pull about 3 gallons of mash off and do the decoction steps or is there a better way? Is the decoction really necessary? I've never tried it before and in the book, Mosher gives an alternative to the decoction using Munich and/or Vienna malts, does that give similar results or would I be missing something? Just not sure how to approach this one. TIA!

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
GMesick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I do decoctions when the style calls for them. I have done the full triple decoction, but these days, I am more apt to do a step infusion (adding boiling water to my M/LT) and then a single decoction for mash out (boiling about a third of the mash for 15-30 minutes, then adding it back in before sparging). That way, I don't have to worry so much about hitting my temperature exactly at the end--and it's a bit simpler.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #3
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I hate bringing back old threads, but has anyone been doing this for certain styles?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Oginme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I've done it once. Actually, doing BIAB makes it easier to remove just the grains to boil. I lift up the bag just enough to bring some of the grains out of the water then scoop out what I want. I found it a little more difficult to control temperature (mostly because of my small volume brewing), but it was my first time doing a decoction mash and I was working my way through learning a new process...

Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

I've done decoction mash BIAB several times. Instead of the general rule of pulling 1/3 of the mash, I've used the estimates from the BrewPal app to figure out how much volume to boil and have come pretty close (within a degree or 2) each time. And I generally do it for my Belgian styles.

Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Quick Reply