Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > biab conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #11
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what if I want to take a 5 gallon AG and convert it down to 2.75 gallon BIAB ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #12
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post
what if I want to take a 5 gallon AG and convert it down to 2.75 gallon BIAB ?
Brewing software will do all the converting for you.

AG and BIAB are the same as far as everything except the amount of water used. and the way the mash is done.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
lawle102
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://www.simplebiabcalculator.com/

That should help.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have beersmith and would like to use that. Would the best way be to load the 5 gallon AG recipe, hit the scale recipe button and choose mini BIAB to do a 2.5 gallon batch?

Also, should I always choose to match orig gravity, color and bitterness? Then at the bottom where it lists single infusion and such there is a drop down of biab (use that?) What what determines light med and full body ? also I would do a 2 week single primary so obviously choose ale single stage?

Thanks for the help I just want to make sure I understand this and do it properly. very excited to get this rolling..

Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss View Post
I have beersmith and would like to use that. Would the best way be to load the 5 gallon AG recipe, hit the scale recipe button and choose mini BIAB? Should I always choose to match orig gravity, color and bitterness? Then at the bottom where it lists single infusion and such there is a drop down of biab (use that?) What what determines light med and full body ? also I would do a 2 week single primary so obviously choose ale single stage?

Thanks for the help I just want to make sure I understand this and do it properly. very excited to get this rolling..
Yup to the first question. Just let it scale for you

The rest is more complicated. You should set up your equipment try using the help option. Maybe someone here can help some more.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #16
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisbliss
I have beersmith and would like to use that. Would the best way be to load the 5 gallon AG recipe, hit the scale recipe button and choose mini BIAB to do a 2.5 gallon batch?

Also, should I always choose to match orig gravity, color and bitterness? Then at the bottom where it lists single infusion and such there is a drop down of biab (use that?) What what determines light med and full body ? also I would do a 2 week single primary so obviously choose ale single stage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider

Yup to the first question. Just let it scale for you

The rest is more complicated. You should set up your equipment try using the help option. Maybe someone here can help some more.
Multiple questions here. First thing with Beersmith is to set your own profiles. You can use the default ones first but it may not correctly match your setup. In other words, say you have a five gallon pot and Beersmith says it boils off at a certain rate. You're pot may be slightly wider so yours may boil off more water in an hour. So, you can start with defaults, then change them for your pot or make a copy of the default pot and edit it for you boil off rate. So, when you pick that and use it, Beersmith will set you up with the right amount of water.

When scaling, pick match gravity, color and bitterness! Correct! Also, pick your new pot if you are say going from a 8 gallon to a 5 gallon pot.

The light body, med body and full body will change how you mash your beer. If you want, put in a simple recipe and change that setting. Then preview it and you will see that the mash temp will rise or fall along with the time depending on what you pick.

Single stage question- probably most of your ales will be a single stage fermentation but in some recipes you will need to do a two stage so that will explain itself in time. For now, unless a recipe calls for it...single stage.

Hope that helps.

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:38 AM   #17
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks to all this helps

Quick Reply