Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #981
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
With a standard 5 gallon brew (12+ lbs grain & 8+ gallons of water), I hang the bag over the pot and squeeze to reclaim .75-1 gallon of wort. We're not talking trivial amounts, that's why I prefer to squeeze rather than use a bit of extra grain and/or top up with plain water (and throw away all that good wort!).
WOW, 1 gal out of 8gal, thats a lot of wort, It sounds to me like the extraction doesn't change by squeezing the bag, but the volume of wort is what would affect the brew.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #982
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Sorry, I didn't word that part of my question properly, what I meant to ask was, dose squeezing the bag makes any difference if you only do a partial boil, say 4 gal?

Your answer also brings another question to mind, if I were to BIAB a 5 gal recipe and mash it in 4 gal of water, can't I just top off to 5 gal in the fermenting bucket, with the same or close to the same gravity readings as mashing in 5 gal?

Or if its not the same, maybe adding some extra grain to compensate so I can top off?

Cheers
to me yes squeezing makes a difference. but only in the volume of wort collected. On a typical grain bill I recover almost 1 gallon of wort by squeezing.

can you increase the grain bill or mash for 4 gallons using a 5 gallon recipe, sure ya can. but the added sugars could impact hops utilization. however, it shouldnt be much different than doing an extract beer.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #983
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
to me yes squeezing makes a difference. but only in the volume of wort collected. On a typical grain bill I recover almost 1 gallon of wort by squeezing.

can you increase the grain bill or mash for 4 gallons using a 5 gallon recipe, sure ya can. but the added sugars could impact hops utilization. however, it shouldnt be much different than doing an extract beer.
Thanks, I saw where you stated about squeezing 1gal extra wort out, that has to make a big difference in a 5 gal batch of beer, Im not exactly sure what percentage different that is, but off the top of my head (with out a calculator) somewhere around 12+ percent difference, depending on pre-boil volume.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #984
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have a BIAB question. I'm interested in doing an Oberon clone recipe using BIAB. The recipe I'm interested in uses decoction. My question is, has anyone done BIAB with a decoction mash? Or is it not worth the effort with BIAB?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #985
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I have a BIAB question. I'm interested in doing an Oberon clone recipe using BIAB. The recipe I'm interested in uses decoction. My question is, has anyone done BIAB with a decoction mash? Or is it not worth the effort with BIAB?
yep... have done a decoction mash and if the clone calls for it do it.. I was very happy with the decoction I did on a hefe. I will be doing a decoction again in a month or 2 when I brew a nice malty german style lager (after I heal from my wrist surgery).

Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #986
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have done a decoction on a Golden Strong Ale. Worked great. Not sure if it contributed anything in the end but the brew was good and the process was easy.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #987
marshallwms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
WOW, 1 gal out of 8gal, thats a lot of wort, It sounds to me like the extraction doesn't change by squeezing the bag, but the volume of wort is what would affect the brew.

Cheers
While squeezing, or letting the bag drip into the kettle while raising the wort to boil, doesn't seem to add a lot to the SG of the wort, obviously if you recapture 1 gallon of wort to a 7 gallon boil, taking it up to 8 gallons, you are adding about 14% more sugars to the total amount which will show up when the target post-boil volume is attained. (Sorry for the long sentence.) That is, if you boil down 7 gallons of 1.040 wort to 5 gallons, you end up with a lower SG than if you boil down 8 gallons of 1.040 wort to 5 gallons. So to me, squeezing or just letting it drip makes sense. And letting it drip while going from mashout temps to the boil doesn't take any work if you can suspend the bag somehow with a pulley or colander, etc.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #988
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 to marshallwms. I recover at least a half a gallon of wort from squeezing the grain my typical 5 gallon BIAB.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #989
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt
+1 to marshallwms. I recover at least a half a gallon of wort from squeezing the grain my typical 5 gallon BIAB.
+2 it's all about the extra volume.

It's not that there is some secret 1.090 wort caged up on the grain bag!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #990
sidbedi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Greetings! This thread inspired me to start tinkering with BIAB all grain about six months ago, thank you Seven. It is a great technique, a real revolution. In my constant quest to simplify and optimize I came up with a way to brew ten gallon batches very easily using a BIAB system with no extra equipment. I have made a video about it here if anybody is interested:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/sids-one-vessel-all-grain-brewing-system-360364/

The gist of it is to use multiple bags when you do a BIAB in a tall vessel to do 10+ gallon batches. I can do two ten gallon batches at the same time solo using this technique!

Enjoy!
Sid Bedi

Quick Reply