Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #961
Domes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr View Post
I'll ask this here, since it seems to be the local repository of BIAB knowledge, and I haven't been able to find anything. I'm getting ready to do my first BIAB batch soon and was wondering, what ratio of water to grain do most people use for BIAB? 1.0-2.0 qt / lb is of course the recommended range for AG brewing, but it sounds like most people who aren't sparging are using a much thinner mash than this?

I ask because I would think (just from Michaelis–Menten kinetics) that efficiency would be reduced at extreme thinness (unless mashing for much longer), since the substrate concentration is reduced (and so the rate of conversion is reduced).
Use as much water as you can so that you end up with about 5.5 gallon when you're finished boiling. I use about 2.6 quarts/pound of grain. But every system is different. I crush my grains twice, mash for 90 minutes, stir and reheat half way through, mash out at 170 deg, and drain for about a half hour and consistently get 72% efficiency.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #962
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

SiriusStarr gets an award for coolness - Michaelis-Menten Kinetics and beer...love it.

BUT - as someone who may know about biological reactions, you probably know that a 2 fold reduction in substrate concentration (the relative thinness compared with standard) is really nothing in biological terms - especially when one considers that amazing speed most enzymatic reactions run at. I would bet you would start to make a difference with a 10-fold reduction in substrates, but would be surprised if 2-3 fold would make much of a difference.

My data-free ideas...

Old 10-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #963
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default No sparge, no squeeze BIAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Notes:
So, it's only one set of data but it looks like the squeeze is a total waste of time other than getting my pre-boil volume where it needs to be (I only picked up .0004 gravity points). I think I'll just add a tiny bit more starting water and stop wasting my time squeezing!
This very closely mirrors the results my friend and I have been seeing since we moved to a full volume BIAB process. We have found that the mashout has a positive effect of adding on average 4 gravity points but that squeezing was a waste of time. So we've stopped squeezing the bag at all.

We simply pull the bag, let it hang over the beam in the garage and drip down into the kettle as we bring it up to a boil. We're consistently achieving efficiencies of 80% and higher.

Squeezing the bag seems to be a given in most of the BIAB processes written up online so I'd be interested in hearing from other people who don't do it.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #964
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

squeezing works for some.. others get the same efficiency without squeezing. it all works and the best thing about brewing is you can find what works best for you.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #965
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
SiriusStarr gets an award for coolness - Michaelis-Menten Kinetics and beer...love it.

BUT - as someone who may know about biological reactions, you probably know that a 2 fold reduction in substrate concentration (the relative thinness compared with standard) is really nothing in biological terms - especially when one considers that amazing speed most enzymatic reactions run at. I would bet you would start to make a difference with a 10-fold reduction in substrates, but would be surprised if 2-3 fold would make much of a difference.

My data-free ideas...
Haha, sorry, I'm a biologist, so this is how I perceive the world. XD

Well, it's all a matter of what the substrate concentration is. If the active sites are essentially saturated, then of course the process is rate-limited by the kcat of the enzyme and the enzyme concentration, and a two-fold reduction in substrate isn't going to appreciably change the rate. If the rate-limiting step is formation of the enzyme-substrate complex, then a two-fold reduction is substrate can result in a significant reduction in rate.

That being said, my guess is that alpha-/beta-amylase have pretty small Km's and we have a ridiculously high starch concentration while mashing, so it shouldn't (and it apparently doesn't, since BIAB wokrs) matter.
Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Pliny clone. Brett cider. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.
FlyDoctor Likes This 
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #966
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcj View Post
This very closely mirrors the results my friend and I have been seeing since we moved to a full volume BIAB process. We have found that the mashout has a positive effect of adding on average 4 gravity points but that squeezing was a waste of time. So we've stopped squeezing the bag at all.

We simply pull the bag, let it hang over the beam in the garage and drip down into the kettle as we bring it up to a boil. We're consistently achieving efficiencies of 80% and higher.

Squeezing the bag seems to be a given in most of the BIAB processes written up online so I'd be interested in hearing from other people who don't do it.
Hello, (Me Not knowing any better) I wonder if squeezing the bag makes any difference if you only did a 60 min mash instead of 90?, and or doing a partial boil? as I can only pull off a 4 gal boil at the moment.
(I need a bigger pot lol)

Thanks and Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #967
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post

My data-free ideas...
Was that in english ?, LOL just kidding.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #968
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote View Post
Hello, (Me Not knowing any better) I wonder if squeezing the bag makes any difference if you only did a 60 min mash instead of 90?, and or doing a partial boil? as I can only pull off a 4 gal boil at the moment.
(I need a bigger pot lol)

Thanks and Cheers
yes a partial boil makes a difference. if you can only do a 4 gal boil, make a smaller batch

Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #969
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sorry if this was already discussed. Whats the advantage of a 90 minute mash? I'm still new to BIAab but I seem to do OK with 60 minutes. Has anyone done any experiments with 60 vs 90 and compared efficiency?

Primary - Zombie Dust Clone, Wild Yeast Hard Cider
Secondary - Mead
Kegs - Christmas Ale, US-05 Hard Cider, Bourbon Oak RIS

My Single Tier Brew Stand Build
My Keezer

Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #970
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
Sorry if this was already discussed. Whats the advantage of a 90 minute mash? I'm still new to BIAab but I seem to do OK with 60 minutes. Has anyone done any experiments with 60 vs 90 and compared efficiency?
We are experimenting with this at another BIAB website.

Here are results of my last two brews:

brew#1
15 minutes: 7.4 brix/1.0282 (mash temp 154F)
30 minutes: 7.8 brix/1.0298 (mash temp 154F)
45 minutes: 8.6 brix/1.0329 (mash temp 154F)
60 minutes: 10.0 brix/1.0384 (mash temp 152F)
75 minutes: 10.5 brix/1.0404 (mash temp 150F)
I then ramped temp up to mashout (168F) over 15 minutes:
90 minutes: 11.2 brix/1.0432 (mash temp 168F)
I let it sit at mashout temp for 15 minutes:
105 minutes: 11.4 brix/1.0440 (mash temp 167F)
Pull bag and squeeze:
pre-boil: 11.5 brix/1.0444 (mash temp N/A)

brew#2
60 minutes: 7.4 brix/1.0282 (mash temp 154F)
end of 90 minute mash: 7.8 brix/1.0298 (mash temp 154F)
end of 10 minute mashout (168F): 9.0 brix/1.0345
pre-boil (after pulling and squeezing bag): 9.2 brix/1.0353

*(brix converted to sg using Sean Terrill's calculator)

Granted this is a very limited data set but it appears that:

A) the extra 30 minutes in the mash does indeed result in more extraction/higher gravity

B) squeezing the crap out of the bag may not be worth the extra .0005 gravity point!

nurture my pig

Quick Reply