The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #901
Mysticmead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I have another BIAB question. I generally use kits for brewing and I have been doing all extract kits up until my last brew which was my first BIAB. But that was a recipe I found on the interweb. I was wondering if I could just order the AG kits from places like NB and brew them using the BIAB method?
yep... BIAB is just another method of AG brewing. no different than a person that fly sparges, no different than a batch sparger.. Of course, as with ANY method of All Grain brewing, you will need to learn your setup and learn what YOU need to adjust for the process and recipe.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #902
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yes. BIAB is AG brewing therefore any AG kit will work with any method of AG brewing.

nurture my pig

MMJfan Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #903
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Very good. That's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks guys!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #904
weeple2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Will mash efficiency improve if I use something longer to stir? Like maybe a 5 gallon paint bucket stick? I have been using a large spoon that is slotted. How much should I be stirring?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #905
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeple2000 View Post
Will mash efficiency improve if I use something longer to stir? Like maybe a 5 gallon paint bucket stick? I have been using a large spoon that is slotted. How much should I be stirring?
everyone has their opinions on stirring and all I can really tell you is to do what works best for you. For me, I stir when I dough in and I stir when raising the heat to mash out after a 90 minute mash. that's it. I get 75-80% efficiency doing it this way with my average sitting at 77%. I also don't adjust the heat during the mash (except when doing a decoction mash) any other time besides mash out. it's what works for ME.

Once you find what works for you, stick with it. Even if someone tells you that you're doing it wrong. if it makes great beer it can't be wrong.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #906
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd recommend a large paddle but depends on the size of the vessel. As long as you can stir well to break up clumps, evenly distribute the temp, etc it shouldn't matter. Personally, I stir every 20 mins & check the temp in case I have to add any heat but its not mandatory. Recommended though...

Old 09-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #907
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Amen to MysticMead! Go with what works for YOU regardless of whether others disagree. As long as you are happy with the end result, that's all that should matter.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 AM   #908
weeple2000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just thought I should ask. I have done 2 batches of BIAB for my all grain attempts thus far. The first batch was a SMASH IPA, and I didn't record how many lbs of grain I milled, so I am not positive what my efficiency was. The second time I did the same as the first, full volume BIAB no sparge, but forgot to raise the temp to 170 for mash out. My efficiency using the calculator online the second time was 57%, which seems very low. I am just getting into this, and I think improvements will still be made to my process. I am using the mill at my LHBS and I suspect I may be getting lower efficiency because of that, but still, lower than 60% seems very low. I sqeezed the bag what I thought was a decent amount. I'm not sure if I could've gotten anything else out of it.

I mashed 16 lbs of grain, so I suspect that part of the efficiency lost may be due to the larger grain bill. I also read that mashing out at 170 doesn't effect efficiency that much. From another poster's advice in my personal thread, I am reading this thread. However, I am only on page 10 or so of the 90+ pages, so if there is anything important past that it will be a couple weeks before I get to it.

Also, the first time I did this I milled my grain twice. The second time (when I did 16 lbs) I only milled once. So it is possible a lower efficiency is due to this as well.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #909
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Probably a combination of only milling once & the larger grain bill is the culprit. With a double crush & grain bills around 11-12#, I've consistently gotten efficiencies in the 80's - some in the low '90's! However, when the grain bill gets higher, my efficiency dropped down into the high '60's-low '70's. For higher grain bills, you probably want to do a sparge on the side & add back to the kettle...

Old 09-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #910
Fastmetal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan
I have another BIAB question. I generally use kits for brewing and I have been doing all extract kits up until my last brew which was my first BIAB. But that was a recipe I found on the interweb. I was wondering if I could just order the AG kits from places like NB and brew them using the BIAB method?
Yup.

Kegs- :-(
Primary- :-(

Quick Reply