Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #81
ChrisHansen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

true but seven's setup is sweet! It takes lifting work out of it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #82
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHansen View Post
Unfortunately I'm working with a 12" opening on the top of my newly converted kegel, so the only basket I can find that fits is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-.../dp/B00062VZOW

downside is it's only 30 qts. do you think it can adequately do the job for an AG BIAB setup? thanks again
This basket may be a little on the small side for some of the bigger beers but it's worth a try. It may work fine depending on the type of beers you like to brew.

I'm in the same situation as you; I have a keggle but the opening at the top is only 12" wide... so I'm limited in the size of the basket that I can use. I may try brewing without the basket one day. As mentioned before, the metal basket isn't absolutely necessary for BIAB.

Be sure to let us know what you end up doing!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #83
gingervitis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHansen View Post
Unfortunately I'm working with a 12" opening on the top of my newly converted kegel, so the only basket I can find that fits is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-.../dp/B00062VZOW

downside is it's only 30 qts. do you think it can adequately do the job for an AG BIAB setup? thanks again
There is a little over 3/4 cubic feet available in that basket. Not sure how much space wet grain takes up in BIAB, but that gives you an idea if you can get an estimate of how much the grain will expand.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #84
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Straining basket

Here's what I use for helping to drain my grain bag:

It's a strainer intended for vegetables and such, with extendable arms for a sink. It supported my 10 lbs of wet grain very easily. I was able to squeeze the bag very easily (except that it was hot...).

I got 85% efficiency today.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #85
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

those work great. I've been using SWMBO's colander but have been meaning to buy one of those just for brewing.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #86
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity
Here's what I use for helping to drain my grain bag:

It's a strainer intended for vegetables and such, with extendable arms for a sink. It supported my 10 lbs of wet grain very easily. I was able to squeeze the bag very easily (except that it was hot...).

I got 85% efficiency today.
Nice. Where did you buy the colander?

I'm curious about your setup because we both have very similar gear and processes. I notice you have a valve on your larger aluminum kettle. Do you use it and was it difficult to install? Where did you get it? I could really use one on both my 17 gallon and 7.5 gallon kettles because I no-chill. I'll probably install one on my much less expensive 7.5 gallon kettle first.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #87
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've seen those at Wal-Mart. I may get one of those too, looks like it works well and an adjustable system will work great.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #88
wedge421
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Really nice walk through! Love the hoist as well. THis is the one method of brewing I have still yet to try. I bought a game bag and all for the grains just havent done it yet. Let us know how it comes out. Cheers

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #89
Amity
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcj View Post
Nice. Where did you buy the colander?

I'm curious about your setup because we both have very similar gear and processes. I notice you have a valve on your larger aluminum kettle. Do you use it and was it difficult to install? Where did you get it? I could really use one on both my 17 gallon and 7.5 gallon kettles because I no-chill. I'll probably install one on my much less expensive 7.5 gallon kettle first.
I think I got the strainer at Canadian Tire, actually. Just like both of my brew pots, heh.

On our 17 gallon kettle, it was easy. The walls are pretty thick, and it didn't take much to get it leak-free. The smaller aluminum kettle was difficult because it was so thin. It took some adjusting to seal properly. In the end, though, both are leak-free.

I have valves on both because I also use the no-chill method, and need a way to get the wort into a jug at boiling temps. A valve and silicone hose is the way to go. I bought mine on Bargain Fittings, but i'd buy one from HopDawgs.ca now.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #90
mountainman13
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Has anybody had any problems with tannins from squeezing the bag? It always seemed like a no-no from what I have read, but everybody here seems to do it.

Quick Reply