Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Brewing (with pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 03:05 AM   #861
BPhad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdbrewer
This topic has really opened my eyes to just how easy brewing all grain can be. Been brewing extract for the past 9 months and enjoyed it, but wanted more control and understanding of the processes and the privilege to say i truely brewed a beer from scratch. So i finally decided to take the plunge. I just recived my 10 gal kettle and bayou burner, and after a few more pieces to be purchased, i'll be biab-ing. So stoked! Oh, and great tutorial from the OP!
It is easy. I started about 10 batches ago and will never go back to extract. It's amazing the difference in the final product when mash temp is just 4 degrees different. Have fun!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 03:06 AM   #862
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

My main concern with this method is maintaining mash temps. I use a propane burner and aluminum kettle. Im afraid that even wrapped up in blankets it won't maintain it's temp well.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #863
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
My main concern with this method is maintaining mash temps. I use a propane burner and aluminum kettle. Im afraid that even wrapped up in blankets it won't maintain it's temp well.
I have not had a problem with my setup which is a 13 gallon aluminum kettle. I wrap in a sleeping bag but have never had to add heat. I use brewsmith and it calculates a mash in temp that is usually a little high once I add my grain.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #864
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla View Post
I use an aluminum kettle and wrap mine in an old sleeping bag. I lose 2-3 degrees over 90 minutes. IF you're concerned about a couple degrees of heat loss, you can always make a refeltix (water heater wrap) wrap for your kettle leaving it just loose enough to slip on after you dough in. Or you can always direct fire (while stirring to prevent scorching and ensure even heating) to raise the temp.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #865
35se
Recipes 

does it matter if the bag is coarse or fine mesh?

Looking to get into BIAB but not sure which bag to buy of midwest.

Primary- Blue Loon
Secondary-
Bottled- NB American Wheat (cherry)

On deck- Belgian Pale ale or Oatmeal Stout

Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #866
jmd1971
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very fine. As fine as possible. The less particulate in the kettle the better

Old 09-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #867
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35se View Post
does it matter if the bag is coarse or fine mesh?

Looking to get into BIAB but not sure which bag to buy of midwest.
You can also make your own bags from voile curtain material. I bought one of these from Walmart for $5 and have gotten 4 very good bags out of the purchase. For bigger sized BIAB sessions I use two bags.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #868
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Ok. I've tried reading through this thread and made it about 20 pages or so without seeing questions I have answered.

I just started homebrewing this past spring and have been doing all extract brewing. I have a 7.5 gal kettle and a propane burner. My question is, would my kettle be large enough to handle most normal BIAB brews? I've been very content with extract brewing, but I want to brew a clone of Great Lakes Holy Moses and I've found one extract recipe for it, but I haven't heard how it turned out. I emailed the recipe to a brewer at Great Lakes and he said it looked good but he'd never tried it using extracts.

I did find an AG recipe and my question is, can I use the AG recipe using BIAB instead? Or is there some tweaking of the ingredients I need to make to convert from the AG to BIAB? And I'm also wondering if I could make this recipe using BIAB without having to buy a larger kettle?

The AG recipe calls for 10.25 lbs of grains (5.25 lbs American 2-row, 4.5 lbs Torrified Wheat, .5 lbs Oats Flaked).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #869
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
Ok. I've tried reading through this thread and made it about 20 pages or so without seeing questions I have answered.

I just started homebrewing this past spring and have been doing all extract brewing. I have a 7.5 gal kettle and a propane burner. My question is, would my kettle be large enough to handle most normal BIAB brews? I've been very content with extract brewing, but I want to brew a clone of Great Lakes Holy Moses and I've found one extract recipe for it, but I haven't heard how it turned out. I emailed the recipe to a brewer at Great Lakes and he said it looked good but he'd never tried it using extracts.

I did find an AG recipe and my question is, can I use the AG recipe using BIAB instead? Or is there some tweaking of the ingredients I need to make to convert from the AG to BIAB? And I'm also wondering if I could make this recipe using BIAB without having to buy a larger kettle?

The AG recipe calls for 10.25 lbs of grains (5.25 lbs American 2-row, 4.5 lbs Torrified Wheat, .5 lbs Oats Flaked).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
first of all... BIAB is AG brewing. it's just a different method of extracting the sugars from the grain. Yes the 7.5 gallon pot could be used, but you'll need another pot to do a dunk sparge in to finish rinsing the grain of all those sugars. OR get a 10 gallon pot and not worry about it. with 10.25lbs of grain you'll need a total amount of water right at 7.5 gallons.

now, will you have to tweak the recipe? that one is hard to answer since you've never done any kind of AG before. You would need to know your equipment and how well you extract the sugars before knowing if you needed to tweak it. do you know what efficiency the recipe was designed around? that would need to be known as well.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #870
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

>>I just started homebrewing this past spring and have been doing all extract brewing. I have a 7.5 gal kettle and a propane burner. My question is, would my kettle be large enough to handle most normal BIAB brews?

Yes - except for the risk of boil over.

Worst case scenario is you use a bit less water, and add it into the fermentor. (You will have to hover around the kettle near teh start of the boil with a spary bottle of water and spray down the boil over as it appears)

Another alternative is to use Fermcap - its an additive to prevent boil overs. It works.

Quick Reply